• Dan W
    Hi. What's the easiest way to use your software to generate a local backup of an AWS volume or snapshot? And which installer/app does this? My backups are about 1.5TB, and I'd like to just download long term backups to my external USB hard drive(s) every month or 2. I already have a good cloud backup solution, but I figure the cheapest way to do a long term storage option is having that backup device (drive) on my desk. Is this possible? I use Amazon AWS EC2 volumes. I can either download them somehow OR my AWS snapshots. I could probably just do it via SFTP, but that has security risks and takes forever. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.
  • David Gugick
    Just to clarify, you are running EC2 instances and want to back up the data on those volumes? If so, you have a few choices:

• You can use our Windows or Linux backup product (either our subscription Managed Backup or the stand-alone, perpetually licensed CloudBerry backup products) and install the agent on the EC2 instance and create file/folder backups as needed - preferably, they'd go to Amazon S3 storage since there's likely no easy way to hit your local network from EC2. You can copy those backups locally if needed, but there are data egress fees that will add cost to that process. You can also leverage lower cost S3 tiers like S3 Infrequent Access and S3 One Zone-IA to lower storage costs. There are retention requirements on S3 IA, so read about them before using.
    • You can use the same products to create image based backups of the EC2 volumes for Windows
    • You could use our Managed Backup product to help create snapshots of your EC2 instances - but those are stored by AWS in S3 and I am unaware of a way to get them out

I think the first option is likely the easiest. You'll just have to decide if copying locally is needed. You can copy files from S3 locally using our S3 Explorer product, but you'll likely need the paid version for best performance with data sets that size.
  • Dan W
    Hi David,

Yes, that's correct. We are running EC2 instances (Linux) and wish to back up the data on those volumes locally. The reason for "locally" is I just want a long term backup that's in my hands. Of course the Amazon snapshots are my go-to when "it" hits the fan though.

In order to download the backups, must they first copy to your cloud backup services, or do you think I can avoid any recurring cloud storage costs with option 1?

And specifically which product do I need? You said... "perpetually licensed CloudBerry backup products". Is this what you're referring to? https://www.msp360.com/backup/linux.aspx

Thank you,

Dan
  • David Gugick
    if you only need a single license then that is what you need. You'll have to review the different editions to see which one satisfies your backup requirements. We do not have a cloud. The product backs up to your own storage. So you'd be backing up to an S3 bucket that you'll create for the target of any backups. And there will be storage charges according to how much data you're keeping. You can check the AWS calculator to understand storage fees as well as any data egress fees should you decide to copy the data out to your local environment. And you can always use less expensive S3 storage classes like S3 infrequent access or one zone infrequent access if that works for you. However, I would stay away from the S3 glacier storage classes as getting data out can be quite expensive and time consuming.
  • Dan W
    Ugg.. feels like a stupid question, but my desktop that I'll be downloading the backups to, will be used to back up our Linux server. So do I need the Linux or the Windows version of https://www.msp360.com/backup/linux.aspx ??
  • David Gugick
    The edition of the backup you need is where you're going to be running it from, so Linux in this case, since presumably you can install the agent on the Linux EC2 instance and run the backups directly to S3 storage. It doesn't matter where you're copying the backups or what tool you're using to facilitate that data migration as there is no backup product involved in that process. You may want to scour the internet for an Amazon S3 file sync utility That can synchronize local disk with your S3 storage to avoid copying objects locally more than once.

Also keep in mind that you might be fine just keeping your data in S3. If you don't really need it locally you can save yourself the hassle of that process and the costs involved. Well we generally advocate for 321 backups, with a local backup and one offside in the cloud, that's generally for on-prem desktops and servers as opposed to servers that are already in the cloud. It certainly is more protection having a local copy, but there are costs involved in that process.

Let me also add, and I apologize for not mentioning this earlier, that you don't have to back up to S3. You could create an account with a company that offers lower cost storage like Wasabi or backblaze B2 and back up there for 5 to $6 per terabyte per month. The backups will likely run more slowly because the data needs to move out of the AWS environment and region into a different cloud storage vendor, but if the costs work better for you it may be a good option. Plus with some services like Wasabi there are no data egress fees, so should you decide to move the data locally from Wasabi You could do that at no charge.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to MSP360 (CloudBerry) Forum!

Thank you for visiting! Please take a moment to register so that you can participate in the discussions!