• John Edmondson
    I do a full backup every two months and an incremental everyday. I have keep backup for 91 days, keep monthly for 6 months and keep yearly for 2 years. When I view backup storage in the view where the various full backups show with their first and latest restore points, size, and days to purge, the days to purge all make sense except the oldest is always "keep forever". None of my oldest is older than the retention policy would indicate but I am only a year and a half in with this policy and the oldest backup (which is the oldest yearly snapshot) would have about half a year left if it was really going to purge at the 2 year mark. The question is, will it purge at that point once the new full happens around that time? or will I have to manually delete that data set?
  • Alexander Negrash
    Could it be that you initially created a backup plan without scheduling a full backup or setting a retention policy? In that case, your first backup would have been a full backup with a "Keep forever" retention policy. If you later edited the plan to include a full backup schedule and retention settings, those settings would only apply to newly uploaded data. You can delete the old backup generations from the Backup Storage tab.
  • John Edmondson
    I don't think that is what I did. I have several other backup plans that are similar and they all show that same property that the oldest backup is marked keep forever. I created them in one pass setting all the backup and retention properties at the same time. However, I know how to delete the old backup set when it is past its time. I just thought someone could confirm what I was seeing is expected. Apparently it is not. When the time comes I'll report back on this forum.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment