• ThomasR
    We are backing up NAS folder to local storage.
    It seems newer versions of cloudberry have reduced capabilities.
    In the past it was possible to store files in a efficient way of long time periods (multiple years of history) but in the backup set there where just too many files.

Now i can only select Full backup with incremental. Its not possible to select Forever Forward Incremental, why?

The space usage on the backup server is too high because i selected full in the first 4 months. So now i have multiple GEN-00000x folders.
    So i skipped future full backups and due to this it will never run any retention job.
    Our retention period is 10 years, does this mean i have to wait 10 years to run the next full backup?

Is there any better solution or do i need to switch to Veeam Backup?
  • Steve Putnam
    I would first ask how much data are you backing up?
    You are using what is called New Backup Format (NBF) instead of the “legacy” file backup option.
    Legacy backup is ideal for large volumes (>500GB) of local storage and/or that has a long retention period. There are no such thing as “fulls” with Legacy format, in the sense that once a file is backed up, it is never backed up again unless it is modified.
    The NBF on the othr hand, does Full Backups periodicaly, meaning that every single file has to be backed up again to create a new generation.
    You can use GFS options that allow you to keep daily fulls/incrementals for say 90 days then keep weekly monthly and annual fulls only. So after one year you would have 1 full for the recent dailies, 12 monthly fulls then an annual full.
    And since local storage cannot do “synthetic fulls” as is done in the cloud destination, you have o rebackup every single file when doiig a full to NAS.
    Evn withGFS, after ten years you will have 9 annual Fulls, 12 monthly fulls, and one “Daily” full. You could reduce thsi somewhat by doing monthly fulls every three months, but still you would be consuming a LOT of storage. You actually have to do a full backup of every file each time a full is schedued.
    Since you need to keep the data for ten years, I highly recommend that you re-backup your data to the NAS using legacy backup format and set the retention period to 10 years. Files that are never touched will stay forever as they are the “”most recent version of a file”.
    So in essence you will only be storing one full plus all of the incrementals that were created in ten years.
    If the files that you are backing up are mostly static innature (pictures, pdf’s,audio/video, exe’s etc), your total storage sonsumed after ten years is likely to be less than 1.5 x the amouunt of data you are backing up.
    Glad to anser any question,
    Steve (not an MSP360 employee)
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube