• Don P
    Was surprised to see that files were saved with their real path names, even when I switched one of my backup plans to "compressed & encrypted". My expectation would be for all names (volumes, folders, and files) to be obfuscated. It might sound like a minor bit of security over-sensitivity, but it really was a surprising amount of data leakage.

(This would also solve the file system mismatch / illegal characters problem I mention in my Minio post)
  • David Gugick
    Filename encryption is the option to encrypt file names. According to a previous post, file name encryption is available for local backups, S3, B2, Azure, Google Cloud, all Openstack and S3-like storage providers.
  • Don P
    Interesting, that option is in a screenshot of the Windows client but doesn't exist on my Mac.
    Attachment
    Screen Shot 2019-08-11 at 9.11.40 AM (20K)
  • Matt
    Sorry, for Mac and Linux we don't yet support file name encryption. It'll be introduced in one of the future versions.
  • Don P
    Is this in a roadmap with an eta? Or just in the backlog?
  • Matt
    No updates on that, but implementation of this feature this year is unlikely.
  • John42
    Hi Matt and Don P,
    sorry for reviving this thread but as far as I know the file name encryption is still a missing feature in the Linux client 3.0.x. So may I ask for an eta or lookout on this important feature. Thanks in advance.
  • David Gugick
    I do not have a date yet on when you'll have the ability to obfuscate file names. The reason stems from some exciting architectural changes that are in the works for the products that, among other things, will automatically prevent file names from appearing in storage. So, the obfuscation you're after will simply be a condition of the changes rather than an explicit feature as it exists in the Windows product today. I realize the longer wait to have this feature in the macOS version is not ideal, but the file protection you're after is coming. Hopefully, I'll be able to communicate some dates in the near future.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment