• Cliff Vachon
    I'm performing a DR test on my data using Cloudberry Pro.  For some reason Cloudberry is adding my files to sub-folders that don't exist on the backed up PC.
    Cloudberry Restore is restoring my files but it is placing them in a folder with the name of the file being restored and then another folder with the date. 

For example I backed up a photo in the following directory: \Pictures\Lily.JPG
    When I restore the file on a NEW PC Cloudberry restores the file as: \Pictures\Lily.JPG$\20140215002812\Lily.JPG

Why is it adding extra folders?  How do I fix this? Easy problem to solve on a test case of a few files.  However, if this was a real disaster and I had to rebuild a new PC and restore 5,000+ files this would be a huge problem.

In my use-case I'm restoring from an AWS S3 Standard bucket (I've also tried restoring from Google Drive).
    File based backup.
    Using same credentials on backup PC and Restore PC.
    Backup pre-fix is the same.
    Restoring latest version.
    Data is not encrypted or compressed.
    Not using bloc-level backup

Thank you for the help!

• David Gugick
    Would I be correct in assuming you're not actually restoring, but instead copying the backup files directly from backup storage to the target location? If so, you need to restore them using a Restore Plan instead. If my assumption is wrong, then please post the restore plan details.
  • Cliff Vachon
    No, I don't know how to copy.
    I'm using the Restore plan / wizard. I select my AWS S3 account (using same access key used on the PC data was backed up from).
    Below is the the summary of the restore plan. The back path on the original PC is "C:\Users\cvach\Desktop\No Backup\BCP" NOT "\\T430\C$\Users\cvach\Desktop\No Backup\BCP" as displayed in the Restore portion below (not sure if this matters).

Also when adding the AWS S3 account I chose in the advanced settings menu I chose "restore only" (but also tried "Regular mode" and selected the same backup prefix. Both ways yield the same end result.

Restore plan summary
    Run restore once
    Bucket name: XXXX-test
    Backup prefix: DESKTOP-IKU0I31
    Restore Type: Latest version
    Restore:
    \\T430\C$\Users\cvach\Desktop\No Backup\BCP

Destination folder:
    C:\Users\T430\Desktop\delete\DR_TEST
    Encryption: disabled

Notification options:
    never send email notification

After running this restore plan on my test PC it placed the file in "C:\Users\T430\Desktop\delete\DR_TEST\BCP\Pictures\Lily.JPG$\20140215002812"
  • Anton Zorin
    , how the files were initially backed up?
    Looks like it was a backup to a local destination and then that destination was used as a source for cloud backup.
    What you see is basically the file structure that we use for storing files on the backup storage. The numbers are a timestamp.
    To get rid of this folders you can restore everything from the cloud and then use that folder as a source for one more restore job and restore files from there.

Please let me know if you need more details on how to restore it. And also try avoiding backing up backups.

Thanks
  • Cliff VachonAccepted Answer
    No, that was not it. These were not backups of my backups.

I did identify the issue - I was backing my data up using the CloudBerry 6.1.x and restoring on my older test PC where had previous installed CloudBerry Backup 5.7.3.

I installed CloudBerry Backup 6.1.3.9 on my test PC (this now matches the PC being backed up) and it worked. No more weird folder structure. I should have double checked version numbers.
  • Anton Zorin
    , thanks for the update and the clarification.
    Indeed, you can restore with no issues if the version with which you're restoring it is newer or the same as the one that was used for the backup.
    Thanks
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet