• Brian Utterback
    I use hybrid backup to keep a local backup copy and a backup copy on Glacier.

Occasionally I will install a program that puts a lot of data someplace unexpected or a file will be unexpectedly large that I only have temporarily, so that the file will get backed up. In the first case I will exclude the file location, in the latter I will move the file, but either way it is usually after the file gets backed up at least once. I normally set things to retain the last copy of all files, but in these case I would like to remove the files. I asked about this in another posting and was told that some new feature in 7.0 would be helpful, but I don't know what that feature will be nor when 7.0 is going to be released.

My immediate problem is that this happened to a file folder that had a significant amount of data, so much that my local backup disk is running low on storage. The simple solution would be to just navigate to the folder in my back up and delete the file, but I am unsure what effect that might have on Cloudberry Backup and the relationship between my local and Glacier storage. I can imagine a scenario where it is perfectly safe, and another scenario where it completely crashes everything.

So my question is, is it safe to remove a file in the local storage backup?
  • David Gugick
    Use the Storage Tab in the product to navigate to the folder in question and delete it from there for both local storage and Glacier. Keep in mind Glacier requires 90 days retention or you're charged the difference, so expect to see that folder on your AWS bill for a few months.
  • Brian Utterback
    Thank you, that seems to work great. Now I am worried about the Glacier backup stuff though. If I delete something with the storage tab on the glacier account, will it delete it immediately from the galcier storage or wait for the 90 days to elapse?
  • David Gugick
    It should delete immediately. Either way, though, you are charged the full 90 days.
  • Brian Utterback
    Okay, so there really isn't so much a minimum retention requirement as a minimum interval charge.
  • David Gugick
    I think that's a fair statement. This is how Amazon describes it:

"... archives stored in S3 Glacier have a minimum 90 days of storage, and archives deleted before 90 days incur a pro-rated charge equal to the storage charge for the remaining days. "
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment