• Andrew C
    I'm trying the free version as a try-before-we-buy to see if this product works for us.

I have an existing Glacier vault, with roughly 10 folders and 1.5Gb of files. I used FreeGlacier to upload those files into the vault, testing out that software. This vault will eventually become our cloud photo/video backup, approx 200Gb.

I set up our Glacier Vault in CloudBerry (pretty much just said it was Glacier and entered our access id and secret key). When I click on the Backup Storage tab I can see the vault I specified, but when I click the dropdown box to show the files all i get is a circling Retrieving Data, it never ever shows any files. I've tried refreshing but its the same.

I also tried to create a backup plan to upload one folder of our pics, ~150Mb. Under the Backup Plans it has a green bar going back and forth, and the message "Searching for modified files, please wait" but no files seem to be uploaded. Its been going like this for 20mins.

Im a real noob at all this stuff, we pretty much just heard that its good to get our files onto the cloud for backup and given the size people recommended Glacier.

Let me know what other info I can supply.

Cheers
    Andy C
  • Andy
    Glacier data doesn't become available immediately. you need to wait 24 hours for the global inventory to occur on the Amazon side, then you should wait another 5 hours to get the inventory for your account.
  • Andrew C
    Thanks Andy. If I have to wait, will it be like this every night when I try and do another upload of folders? Or is this a once of sort of deal, and once we are over this initial hurdle it will be quicker? - I want to upload approx 10 folders per night until I have our stuff up there (approx 200 Gb) but waiting hours each time might be a deal breaker.

What we are basically after is uploading our pics/videos that we have, and then each month uploading the current months new files. Do you think this software is going to work for us? Im happy to pay for it if it meets our needs and doesn't take forever each time.

All help appreciated.
    Andy C
  • Andy
    each upload go through the same process. also you always need to wait 5 hours to get your files from Glacier. It is a very special storage, with a lot of tidbits . Consider it as melding data

I would recommend that you use a lower-cost Amazon Standard IA storage class. Amazon S3 Standard - Infrequent Access (Standard - IA) prices starting at $0.0125 per GB per month, $0.01 per GB retrieval fee, and a 30-day storage minimum. This combination of low cost and high performance makes Standard - IA ideal for long-term file storage, backups, and disaster recovery.
  • Denis Gorbachev

>When I click on the Backup Storage tab I can see the vault I specified, but when I click the dropdown box to show the files all i get is a circling Retrieving Data, it never ever shows any files. I've tried refreshing but its the same.

If you want to utilize Glacier as a production storage - I'd recommend you to set up S3-Glacier lifecycle move. It won't be much more expensive, but your inventory will be updated ASAP, as the files would first get into the S3 bucket and after that will change their storage class to Glacier instead of getting to the vault. I'd recommend you that article for consideration: https://www.cloudberrylab.com/blog/amazon-s3-lifecycle-rules-upload-to-glacier/

I'd just like to add that you can leverage Backblaze or Wasabi as your storage solution. They are a bit more expensive to store data in, but they are way simpler for non-enterprise sized solutions.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment