• Chasim
    I am trying to decide if I really need a NAS capable of BTRFS (versus ext4). If I have a file, say a picture (JPG) and, between backups, it becomes in whole or in part corrupted, how will CBB treat it on the next backup? Will it back it up as a new file? Backup a portion of the file (if block level is enabled)? Treat it as a new version? Ignore it? Or none of the above...

Thanks!
  • David Gugick
    If the file is corrupted but readable, and you don't use block-level, it will back up the corrupted version in whole. The block-level we'd likely pick up the new damaged parts assuming the file is large enough to warrant a block level backup. Old versions will remain according to your retention policy. I haven't seen anyone report this particular issue, probably because old versions can be restored if there's an issue and SMART drive status should pick up the problem if you're monitoring. Is this something you've run into previously?
  • Chasim
    Thanks for your reply.

To the best of my knowledge, none of the files (mainly media) have suffered bit rot, but I have a new NAS since the prior one was old and one drive failed - thank you Raid 1! However, if you visit forums (e.g. Reddit), pretty much everyone will tell you to use BTRFS. But, based upon your explanation, CloudBerry would save me because I would notice that a new version was backed up, which would alert me to a problem (since I almost never modify these files).
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment