• Jim
    Hi, I know that you're not Amazon support, so I humbly apologize but hopefully you can help anyway, please.

I'm trying to setup Cloud Berry to work with S3 IA storage but I cannot for the life of me (even though I'm an EC2 user) figure out how to do it. Amazon's documentation is a mishmash of marketing blurb and outdated info, furthermore getting help from them is presumably worse than with the Borg (I mean I have to pay $30 to ask how to use their product...arg).

So I can create an S3 Bucket, but what makes it 'Infrequent Access'? I'm getting the feeling that it's something to do with the lifetime policy(?), so what should I do, set it up to put 1 day old files in IA?

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonS3/latest/user-guide/create-lifecycle.html

Thanks

• David GugickAccepted Answer
    You do not need to create the bucket as S3 Standard-IA. Instead, you simply tell the CloudBerry Backup plan to use S3-IA as the Storage Class. That setting is located on the Compression and Encryption Options tab in the Backup Plan Wizard. Check the Use Standard-IA Storage Class option and all the data uploaded to the bucket will use S3-IA.

If you have objects already uploaded that you want to move, you can create an Object Lifecycle Policy in the AWS management console or in CloudBerry Backup (Tools | Lifecycle Policy). Select the bucket and transition the data to S3-IA after 1 day. Uncheck the Archive to Glacier option. From then on, all the data that is more than a day old in S3 will move over to S3-IA. I am sure you are aware that S3-IA has higher costs for restores and also has a retention policy of 30 days per object. But it is more cost effective for less frequently accessed data.
  • Jim
    Great thanks!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube