• Francisco Bonachela Capdevila
    Dear,

I would like to ask whether S3 "directories" can be created using Cloudberry Pro.

The idea is that within our group, users would be accessing files in S3 using Cloudberry Pro. Users should be allowed to read and write in S3 and create new "directories", if needed, to upload new files.

However, I don't succeed in creating directories. Is this possible?

Thank you
    Francisco
  • David Gugick
    S3 is object storage and not hierarchical storage like your hard drive on your PC. Object storage is flat file storage. S3 simulates folders to add some organization to the objects that are stored there - effectively creating a 0 Byte File to simulate a folder. S3 is not designed for active file management - meaning, you do not create and actively edit files right in S3. You create and edit them locally and copy to S3 as needed and then copy back to the PC when they need to be edited. Your users can copy a folder (event an empty one) from their hard drive to the S3 bucket and it will show up. But you cannot create a folder directly in S3 as far as I'm aware.

If you want your users to work on files locally, but have them stored automatically in S3, then maybe our Drive product would be a better fit.
  • Francisco Bonachela Capdevila
    Hi David,

thanks a lot for the feedback. Indeed, copying the entire folder will work fine for us, and definitely will take a look at the Drive product, as it seems to fit well in our scenario.

Regards,
    Francisco
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube