• PeterTazam
    Hi
    Is it possible to backup to a Freeness storage system and a Netgear ReadyNAS drives, I have downloaded Backup for MS SQL Server for a trial period and I am finding it difficult for the software to find the external NAS drives, can anyone help or point me to any instructions on how to setup a backup set to a NAS drive system.
  • David Gugick
    Are you looking to back up the NAS, or are you looking to use the NAS as a target to store the backup files? If the former, then you would simply select files on the network share that's mapped to the NAS and back them up to your preferred storage target. If it's the latter, then you would create a storage account that goes to the network share. Please clarify, and let us know exactly what you're looking to do.
  • PeterTazam
    Hi David

I would like to backup selected files and folders and an SQL database from a Windows 10 PC over to a folder on a NAS Drive. I am new to backing up so I may be doing something wrong.

I found this article via a google search: https://www.msp360.com/resources/blog/nas-backup-strategies-local-cloud/

I have tried mapping a folder on the NAS (Freenas 11.3) and backing up my data to that mapped dive using ‘File System’ and adding my NAS login details in the ‘Change Network Credentials’ but I cannot get the program the recognise the mapped drive /NAS.
  • David Gugick
    That's not the right article. That is about backing up a NAS.

You do not want to map a folder from the Windows 10 PC. You want to expose the NAS from the NAS software as a network share. Just like if you wanted to use the NAS a network share for serving files. You create a share on the NAS using its software and then you should be able to access from another PC on the network (it would just show up as a share in the Network).Once the share is exposed, you can create a File System storage provider account in MSP360 Backup and use it as the target for your File and SQL Server backup plans.

Please see if this video I dug up on YouTube helps on creating a share on FreeNAS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCfX4sqDmzs
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment