• michaelGFK
    Hi,
    We are backing up SQL Server database transaction log every 5 min in one plan and also running full backups at night in another. At some point cloudberry service failed with out of memory error. We didn't get any notifications and as a consequence our data wasn't backed up for whole 2 weeks( the requirement was 5 min). I had opened a support ticket and was advised that the reason the service failed is because we are running two plans at the same time - transaction log plan and the full backup plan. Cloudberry has an option to limit memory it uses so as SQL Server.
    I am looking for recommendations here on how to configure RAM so it wouldn't happen again.
    Thank you
  • David Gugick
    Just to clarify are both plans SQL Server plans? One is the daily full backup and the other is the recurring transaction log backup? SQL Server allows running full and tlog backups at the same time - this has not been an issue since SQL Server 2000.

How do you have the plans set up? You say you are using two different plans, but I do not see a way to configure a plan to only perform t-log backups in our product - unless I'm just missing that config option. Please describe how you set your plans up. Usually, you would use a single SQL Server plan with Full, Differential (optional), and T-Log backups all defined and scheduled within that single plan.

• Where are your backups eventually going - cloud or local network?
    • What are your Thread Count and Chunk Size settings in Settings - Advanced?
    • How much memory is available on the server (available, not total memory) - I'm asking because SQL Server can be accidentally set up to use all available memory if it needs it leaving little memory for other processes. Check Management Studio server properties - Memory - Maximum Server Memory (It should not be set to 0 or too high as to leave little memory for other server processes). I realize SQL Server will release memory when needed, but not all applications work this way and some may not see the memory released
  • michaelGFK
    Just to clarify are both plans SQL Server plans? - Yes
    One is the daily full backup and the other is the recurring transaction log backup? -Yes
    One plan is recurring transaction logs every 5 minutes and full at night for two databases, the other plan is nightly "full" for system and other user databases.
    Where are your backups eventually going - cloud or local network? Cloud, AWS s3 bucket
    What are your Thread Count and Chunk Size settings in Settings - Advanced? No
    How much memory is available on the server (available, not total memory)
    This is a dedicated SQL server with no other business processes running on it (except for cloudberry). Microsoft recommends to let SQL manage memory. It constantly queries available RAM and adjust required memory accordingly. I used to leave 1GB for OS in older SQL Server versions but this is not the case anymore. I rather limit cloudberry than SQL Server, but if there is no way around it please advise how much Cloudberry needs and I limit SQL Server too.
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/memory-management-architecture-guide?view=sql-server-ver15

Thank you
  • David Gugick

What are your Thread Count and Chunk Size settings in Settings - Advanced? No

There are values in Settings - Advanced for Thread Count and Chunk Size. Please reply with your settings.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment