• DominicO
    Hi there,

I was able to add S3-compatible Scaleway object storage. I can upload files and delete them just fine.

What I cannot do via Cloudberry is change the Storage class, from Standard to Glacier and back.

Currently there are 3 ways to do this:
    1) manually restore a file in their dashboard, one-by-one (there is no bulk option to do so, at least from retrieving from their Glacier to Standard - though I have requested that they consider it)
    2) CLI ..... nope, no thank you
    3) Cyberduck - they tell me this software supports that feature/command - but firstly I'm not a Mac user, and secondly, I'm happily paying for Cloudberry Pro maintenance, so it makes sense to wish for this ability in Cloudberry Explorer.

Hoping that this can be passed to the developers.

Thanks,
    Dom
  • David Gugick
    In Amazon S3, once you are in Glacier I don't believe there is any automated method to get out. You're there unless you manually copy the objects to another S3 storage class. I'll double check, however.
  • DominicO
    Thanks.

I am refering to Scaleway
    https://www.scaleway.com/en/object-storage/ (this is their version of S3)
    https://www.scaleway.com/en/c14-cold-storage/ (this is their version of Glacier, which they actually call Glacier storage class).

You can send files to Cold storage in their dashboard, but one at a time. And retrieve from Cold to regular storage similarly.

They tell me that the Mac-only Cyberduck product can trigger files to be sent to cold storage and back. It doesn't work in Cloudberry however. When right-clicking files in Cloudberry, when connected via S3-compatible means, there is no 'change storage class' option in the pop up menu, whereas on AWS of course there is.

I don't want to have to send fines to and from cold storage one-by-one when there could be hundreds or thousands of files in a single folder.

A 'workaround' is to archive large numbes of files as RAR files etc, thus making 1 or just a few files to handle in Storage. But when that is not preferred or wanted, then manual one-by-one file management could be a huge undertaking.
  • DominicO
    To clarify further - since I was testing this out yesterday, the way their systems work is, you either upload files to Storage, or to their Glacier directly.

Via Cloudberry S3 compatible, it goes to regular Storage.

Once there, the files can be 'sent' to their Glacier cold storage, manually, or via a lifecycle rule to auto-send to Cold storage.
    At this point they are viewable as filenames etc but inaccessible.

To access the cold store files, you retrieve them back to regular storage, from where they can be downloaded. File delivery performance seems way faster and smoother than Backblaze B2.

When you restore files from cold storage to regular, they have a time set on them to autoreturn to cold storage, so as to automagically minimise your storage costs.

It seems a nice system and way to do things.
    Just their UI in their dashboard cannot send more than one file at time to cold storage, or retreive. And nor does Cloudberry.

Since they told me directly that Cyberduck can do it, then it must be possible to achieve this functionality.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment