• Steve Heap
    I had three hard drives in my PC and use Cloudberry backup to regularly backup the files onto a NAS in my basement. Due to a massive error in using old SATA cables on a new power supply in my PC, all the three drives have been fried. I am thinking of getting two larger drives to replace the three old ones, but will I still be able to restore my files if the size and structure of the PC is no longer the same?

Steve
  • David Gugick
    Are these File or Image backups? Are you looking to restore the operating system or just the needed files from those 3 original drives?

Assuming Image:
    You can perform a file level restore of the main folders you need and specify the target folder as needed. You will probably get better performance if you use physical connections to the router on both ends (computer and NAS). Just make sure you're using the right cable (CAT 5e, 6, etc.) to avoid and unnecessary network speed issues.

You can also restore to a virtual hard disk and move the files as needed.

Assuming File Backups:
    Nothing to really consider here. You select the target folder and files will be restored there.
  • Steve Heap
    Thanks! They are file backups. Luckily my operating system and most of my commonly used files were on M2 SSDs on the motherboard itself and were not damaged. It was just the 3.5inch hard drives. I did discover in a trial run that you can restore folder by folder so I should be fine.

Lesson learned, always replace both PSU and power cables at the same time!
    Steve
  • Steve Heap
    I now have my replacement hard drives and started to create a file level backup plan. I selected the "latest version" of the files in the folder I am trying to restore to my new blank hard drive, but when I ran the plan, it immediately stopped with error 2010 - Invalid Point in time with the message that the specified point in time is earlier than the first full backup. Nothing to restore.

I'm now confused by this - I can see the files in the backup NAS with all the various versions, but why doesn't this simple "restore latest version" bring back all the latest copies of all the files involved?

Steve
  • David Gugick
    It should. Have you run a consistency check. https://help.msp360.com/cloudberry-backup/restore/about-restore/performing-a-consistency-check

Possibly, some of the metadata is out of sync. If that does not address your issue, then the support team will have to take a look at the logs to see what is going on. Use the Tools \ Diagnostic toolbar option to open a case, reference this post, and mention I asked you to open up the support case.
  • Steve Heap
    Thanks for your help. I did contact Support and they pointed to an error message where the restore function was not able to create a folder on my new hard drive. I had tried so many variants that I decided to reformat this new drive and start again. I selected "latest version" and chose the new drive rather than restore to original and this time it all seems to have worked. I am now started on restoring the second drive. Once that is all done, I will try to restart the backups again.
  • David Gugick
    Thanks for the update.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube