• Jerry
    I am using CBB for Windows 6.3.3.126 . I have been using a Hybrid backup to back up my PC data to a local NAS and Backblaze S3 cloud account. I recently lost my NAS backups when I had to replace damaged drives. I would like to perform a new full backup to the NAS and ultimately have the Hybrid NAS and Backblaze backups back in sync. What is the best way for me to achieve this?
  • David Gugick
    I would reach out to Support directly for instructions. You may have to rerun a new backup from scratch and they may tell you to use a new B2 bucket. I am not sure if it's going to be possible to preserve your existing cloud backups to be used in sync with the newly updated NAS, but the Support team is in the best position to offer this assistance to you. You can open a support ticket here: https://www.msp360.com/support/create-ticket.aspx?prod=managedbackup
  • Jerry
    @David Gugick I submitted a ticket Saturday but haven't heard back yet. In the meantime I have decided I am ok with creating a new B2 bucket and going that route. I would appreciate if you can "bless" the approach I plan to use which is to clone each of the two hybrid backups I was running and change each to the new target B2 bucket. I assume that will create a new repository for each of the cloned plans. Once running smoothly I will delete the previous two plans which I expect will also delete their repositories. Sound about right?

As mentioned earlier, I am on 6.33. I expect to go to 7 later this year. Is there anything in what I plan to do that I should rethink in preparation to going to 7?

Finally, this experience of losing my NAS has been a bit disconcerting regarding the inability to sync a hybrid backup if the local backup becomes out of sync with the cloud. Even if I had a backup of my NAS from one week before it failed, wouldn't I still be unable to sync the local backup to the B2 backup? It seems more fragile than I would have anticipated. Hopefully, you can help me understand if this isn't the case.
  • David Gugick
    I think it’s important to wait for Support to get back to you. I pinged them again and asked them to expedite a response. While it might be possible to sync the local repository with data in the cloud, I’m not sure how long that would take nor how expensive it would be to exfiltrate all that data. I would not remove your old cloud repositories, at least not right away, because you would lose all old versions of files as well as any deleted files if you have that option enabled to retain the deleted files in storage.
  • David Gugick
    Support cannot find your ticket #. Can you reply here with it please?
  • Jerry
    I just created another ticket because I never received a ticket #. Let's see if I get one this time. The delay has been ok as it has given me some time to research and think through my backup strategy. I've asked support to comment on my current thinking which is to:
    1. Perform CBB for Windows backup of my PC's data volumes to my NAS
    2. Perform CBB for Windows synthetic full backup of my PC's data volumes to my new B2 (S3) Bucket
    3. Perform Synology backup of my NAS to a local USB drive.

My thinking is this will let me avoid the sync issues that seem inevitable in the hybrid model, while also giving me two alternative backups that are each also backed up independently (by BB and Synology).
  • Lorne G
    Is there any more feedback on this issue? I have a client that has a hybrid file-level backup that is out of sync. I'm trying to avoid doing a full backup due to low bandwidth.

I can't seem to find any way to resync both storage.
  • Keith Luken
    I have been fighting this issue myself. And here is how I resolved mine.

This solution is not practical for many use cases especially if you are going to cloud and it costs time and money to do these steps. I am still waiting on support to tell me the official way to sync 2 repositories.

I have hybrid VM backups. Where I have a local disk and then external disk I was backing VMs up to. the external disk got corrupt and I have to reformat it. When future backups ran only the incremental backups showed on the external drive. If I ran a consistency check it would remove any listed backups from the external drive in the "Backup Storage" View/tab. Because I was only dealing with 2.5TB and it was all LAN based I did the following:

Recreated the secondary storage account (external USB drive).
    Robocopy the primary backup target to the secondary maintaining proper directory structure.
    Once complete ran a consistency check on the secondary backup drive and the backups repopulated fine. I did a test restore and it works fine.
  • David Gugick
    Thsi is what Support reported to me (internally):

Have the customer sync repositories for both storage accounts (local and cloud) to make sure the information about the files stored is up to date. Then, run another backup and make sure the backup completes successfully. Technically, that should be enough.

If the customer still has issues after syncing both repositories and completing a new backup successfully, ask them to create a Support ticket.
  • Keith Luken

Yeah that never worked for me. I ran a backup and all that showed in the secondary was the latest incremental. I may try and duplicate the issue to send the logs to support since they were stumped with my issue. I may try it tonight. Also the sync operation is not very clear as to what the source is vs. the destination for a sync.
  • Keith Luken
    I just recreated the issue. Syncing the repositories then running a new backup successfully does not recreate the secondary. It only populated the incremental that just ran. There needs to be a menu option on the storage account to "resync" and it should go out and do the compare resolve the mismatch. The current process is rather convoluted. I sent logs to my open case, but for me the easy fix is robocopy. There needs to be a better fix for large hybrid storage to do the sync and repair.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment