• ShaunHH
    Hi all,
    I'm currently running CB backup on PC (Windows 8 ) but will making some changes to my PC soon (upgrading to Win 10 etc).

I've got a few questions on this, using other targets for the backups, and other things...
    Am I best starting these as separate discussions or just keep them in this one?

Thanks!

ShaunHH
  • Matt
    Hi! Feel free to ask questions here. If you think that some topic is too expansive you can create a separate thread for it.
  • ShaunHH
    Thanks Matt, I'll give it a go here then :

question 1:

I'm migrating to a new PC - I'm planning to perform a complete clean upgrade from Windows 8 to 10.

My Data is in Amazon Glacier - but on the new setup my local directory structures might change - would I have to reload all my Data to Glacier? (It took ages to do the upload to glacier for last time).

question 2:

I'm an ex-Crashplan user. I'm also toying with the idea of having another backup on another [remotely connected] PC. Can I perform a local CBB backup & then take that disk to the other PC to seed the backup (internet is very slow for me)

question 3.
    In a moment of weakness :-), on world backup day I took advantage of the discounts to buy a linux licence for CBB. I've had a vague idea of using a Raspberry Pi 3 run my backups (taking the files from my NAS). Is there a way to be able to integrate these with my Glacier target & other targets without having to do the full uploads yet again?

Hope the above make sense.

Looking at the above questions, I guess they are all about de-duplication on a file level... :-)

Thanks,

ShaunHH
  • Matt

1) It would be better to make sure that the folder path on source mirrors the original one. Usually you can simply modify the path on storage side, but due to Glacier specifics you need to make sure everything stays the same on that machine.

2) Yes, that is possible. You can read about that here: https://kb.msp360.com/cloud-vendors/seeding-data/seeding-data-via-cloudberry-backup-part-ii

3) I'm afraid that won't be possible, at least not yet. Linux backups to Glacier work via lifecycle and you won't be able to put the data into the same vault.
  • ShaunHH
    1) It would be better to make sure that the folder path on source mirrors the original one
    Thanks - yes that makes sense - I was thinking that Glacier might be a bit picky in this respect. I'm also wondering whether I might make use of my OneDrive disk space (maybe a better alternative) as I have this included in my MS Office sub.
    2) Yes, that is possible. You can read about that here
    That's perfect - its just knowing where to look ;-) I've bookmarked for future use.

3) I'm afraid that won't be possible, at least not yet. Linux backups to Glacier...
    That's fine - the linux version is something for the future. Does CBB (Linux) run OK on a raspberry Pi?
    If I could get this running I'd probably be backing up files from my NAS rather than using my PC.

Many thanks Matt.
    I'm using CBB mainly as my off-site backups (previously CrashPlan user - but that's going away) in case of losing everything locally. I also have backups to a second internal HDD & to a synology NAS using SyncbackPro (which is basically file copying).
    Many thanks for your speedy help with the questions , and hopefully your answers are useful to others as well.
  • Gleb

CloudBerry Backup for Linux does not have a version to run on ARM processors. Frankly speaking, we don't even have it on our roadmap - but your request is registered. We might decide to implement it at some point if the feature is highly requested.
  • ShaunHH

CloudBerry Backup for Linux does not have a version to run on ARM processors
    That's OK - Worth an ask!
    I've got another x86 machine that I could use to run Linux another time.
    Thanks,

ShaunHH
  • FulvioB

"CloudBerry Backup for Linux does not have a version to run on ARM processors. Frankly speaking, we don't even have it on our roadmap - but your request is registered. We might decide to implement it at some point if the feature is highly requested."

Hello, as MSP, we have several small office or remote office that have just a NAS for data storage and network devices to connect to network, it would be great an ARM version so we could use a single cheap and low consumption single board computer to put on that scenario to manager cloud backup with cloudberry

thanks
  • Gleb
    Hello . Thanks for the explanation of the use case, registered your request.

Let me tell you for sure, our roadmap for the next half a year is pretty much complete - so an ARM version won't be available that soon even if we decide to make it.
    Just trying to be transparent here.
  • P72endragon
    Just registering another vote for a Raspeberry Pi option (or even better, update and reinstate the Synology NAS version)
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment