• BackupFan
    What is the best way to delete data from a cloud storage location like Wasabi when the data is no longer needed and when the backup plan is to be deleted.

Is it proper to:
    1. Open MSP360 management portal
    2. Delete the backup plan(s) that are no longer needed
    3. Click Organization / Users
    4. Find Company / User Account from which one or more sets of backup data are no longer needed
    5. Click the X to the right of the correct row (this will open a dialog box for additional options)
    6. If not already marked, click to select "Delete backed up data only" radio button
    7. Add a check-mark to the computer(s) for which you need to delete data
    8. Click Delete
  • David Gugick
    if you no longer need that service account because you're decommissioning all backups for that customer on all endpoints that use it, then you can use that option You mentioned. Or are you just looking to delete specific endpoints? I'll have to double check the option you're talking about cuz maybe it can do what you want if it's just specific endpoints, but let me know.
  • BackupFan
    Thanks.

Sometimes I want to do just delete all data associated with the endpoint which the process I listed may accomplish, if you can verify.

Other times we have used multiple backup plans (image, hybrid, files) for an endpoint and want to delete just the data associated with one plan (i.e. hybrid). Not sure how to accomplish this.
  • BackupFan
    Hi David,

Any further information on this subject? We would like to be able to delete all backup information relative to a no longer used backup plan stored on a local storage device and/or stored in a Wasabi bucket. One use case is the upgrading of backup plans to the New Format plans. After making the New Format backups, keeping the backup data from the old format plan for the normal retention period, we would like to delete this data from the backup storage location.
  • Steve Putnam
    We use Cloudberry Explorer to delete old Cloud backups in scenarios such as you described.
    Be sure to put a password on the Explorer app for security purposes.
    For local backups we login to the server/device being backed up and manually delete the old backups. Since we started using 5TB external USB drives for local backups, space has rarely been an issue, so sometimes we just leave the old ones there. We use our RMM tool to monitor available space on the drive.
  • David Gugick
    You can click the Red X on the User and select the "Delete backed up data only" from those computers. But that deletes all data for that endpoint.

To delete a data for a specific backup, you can use the agent's Backup Storage tab and delete the backup plan (if using the new backup format since new backup format plans are organized on the left by plan name). If using the legacy backup format, and you have multiple plans backing up different folders on the same drive, you'd have to drill into those folders and perform a selective delete. I would recommend you fully review the backup plan before deleting it, and make a note of what is backed up to make deletion easier. Using the backup storage tab will ensure the local repository is kept up to date.

You can also use Explorer, as Steve mentioned, but your repository may be out of sync with respect to those files deleted, and if you're using the legacy backup format, you'd have to synchronize the repository once the deletes are complete.
  • Steve Putnam
    Yes I forgot that part - you can resync the repository via the MBS Portal by selecting Edit :Options: Repository. Another note - If you switch from legacy to V7 format on a machine, the new format data is in something called CBB_Archive - The old data will be the folder with a drive letter.
    Question for David G.:
    I have a server with 1 million files The inital backup two years ago took a week, but ever since, every backup is "incremental" - meaning only changed files get backed up. With the new format do we actually have to periodically upload everything again? Even jpg's and pdf's that have never changed?
    I suppose the synthetic backup would reduce the time to do that - but we use Google Nearline that currently does not support synthetic fulls.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment