• Mark
    Have a VM job that has been running fine for a few months and now it keeps having issues with one of the VMs, a Windows 7 VM. The errors we're seeing in the event log of the VM are:

Event ID 8 from source Volsnap: The flush and hold writes operation on volume \\?\Volume{da4583cd-0000-0000-0000-100000000000} timed out while waiting for a release writes command.

Event ID 8 from source Volsnap: The flush and hold writes operation on volume C: timed out while waiting for a release writes command.

Event ID 12298 from source VSS: Volume Shadow Copy Service error: The I/O writes cannot be held during the shadow copy creation period on volume \\?\Volume{da4583cd-0000-0000-0000-100000000000}\. The volume index in the shadow copy set is 0. Error details: Open[0x00000000, The operation completed successfully.
    ], Flush[0x00000000, The operation completed successfully.
    ], Release[0x80042314, The shadow copy provider timed out while holding writes to the volume being shadow copied. This is probably due to excessive activity on the volume by an application or a system service. Try again later when activity on the volume is reduced.
    ], OnRun[0x00000000, The operation completed successfully.
    ].

Operation:
    Executing Asynchronous Operation

Context:
    Current State: DoSnapshotSet

Was hoping for some pointers as the only thing I found related to Server 2003.

Thanks folks!

Mark
  • Matt
    If you've only recently started seeing these disk I/O messages then it may indicate hardware problems, it's probably time to check the HDD health.

More info on the event ID 12298 can be found here:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2008-R2-and-2008/cc734401(v=ws.10)
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2008-R2-and-2008/dd364875(v=ws.10)
  • Mark
    Thanks for the reply and the links Matt. I ran a sfc /scannow and that found and repaired some corruption so we'll see if that helps. I also ran a chkdsk and it came up clean. I would think that if there was a hardware issue, some of the other VMs would have issues as well as they're all on the one datastore but who knows. I know that if I reboot the VM, it will succeed on the backup for the next run but then it will fail after that.

Thanks again,

Mark
  • Matt
    Thanks for the update.

In general, those I/O errors are simply caused by a heavy load on the system, so running the backups during non-business hours should help.
  • Mark
    Well the backup was successful yesterday. Not sure if it will continue that way or not but for now it looks like the sfc /scannow worked. That's twice in 15 years that sfc /scannow worked for me now!
  • Matt
    Glad to hear that! In case you encounter any other technical issues you can write to for further assistance.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment