• Jeff S
    I'm evaluating Cloudberry Backup for Linux although I don't think this question is really Linux specific, so putting it under the main backup forum:

So, with backup systems that support deleted file retention, there is a fundamental, let's call it a "challenge": It seems like most backup systems don't actually record meta-data that a file was deleted, they just have the file in the backup set, but it's not on the local drive. They can of course test and see that it's deleted at backup time, and delete files from the backup set, based on retention policy.

BUT, the issue becomes. . . if you need to do Disaster Recovery and do a full system restore, if there are a bunch of deleted files in the backup set, since the backup doesn't "know" they were deleted, it just restores them too, so after DR, you get back a lot of files that were previously deleted and you don't necessarily want back on your live system - you just want them archived in the backup for potential restore on an ad hoc basis.

So, is CloudBerry Backup smart enough to flag files as deleted in the backup metadata, so that you can choose NOT to restore them when doing a full restore?
  • Gleb
    Hi , while indeed the question is not Linux specific, the option is available on Windows but not on Linux (yet).

Here is how it looks in Backup for Windows
    68s2llqiijmcq4tm.png

We will support it in Backup for Linux too, although I cannot share an ETA for it now.
    Adding your request to the list!
  • Jeff S
    Gleb, thank you. Just fyi, your image link seems to be broken.
  • Gleb
    fixed the image above
  • Jeff S
    Thanks. I see it now.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention