• Frank-Enero
    Hello,
    I am running backup exec Ultimate 7.8. Currently I am running a "file back" to and external disk but the new forever incremental isn't available hence I cant limit the retention to 6 months for example without enabling a monthly full. The problem I have is this disk sits in another location as an offsite backup and it is upwards of 30TB so I cant be pushing full 30tb backups to this location, I need full incremental with being able to limit the retention period so the disk doesn't fill up. Is the only option to get around this the file backup (legacy option) ?
  • Alexander Negrash
    FFI is not supported for local backup. With the new backup format, you must have at least two full backups with increments. For six months of retention with two full backups, you can set monthly full to repeat every six months.
  • Frank-Enero
    OK Thanks Alexander , I will just switch to the legacy option then as I cannot be pushing 30TB plus across an internet link with a full copy every 6 months.
  • tumlog888
    Normally called, I believe, “Incremental forever”, but it’s possible some backup vendor calls it the other way.

At some point, you make a full backup of your system, say over the weekend when business is slower. Then each evening during the week, you’d make an incremental backup. The Monday night incremental would be the changes since that last full backup completed. The Tuesday night incremental would be just the changes since the Monday night incremental. Wednesday since the Tuesday, etc., until you got to Friday or Saturday night, when you’d do another full backup.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment