• Steve Sobka
    Does anyone have a similar setup or could you recommend the following steps in MSP360 Backup Desktop Edition? I previously tried backing up directly to Glacier but ran into the 5TB limit for the desktop edition, yet I am only backing up 3TB of total data. (My assumption is my retention are causing me to hit the 5TB limit but that's a different support request).

Here's what I am thinking and would like advice of how to set this up?

Schedule weekly backups to a USB drive connected to a Windows machine, with the drive being shared on the network. Subsequently, transfer these backups to Amazon AWS S3 storage using a post-backup script. After a retention period of 30 to 90 days, transition the data to AWS S3 Glacier for cost efficiency using a lifecycle rule.

The local USB drive should maintain the equivalent of the following:
    Four weekly backups (every Saturday)
    Twelve monthly backups (first Sunday of each month)
    Five annual backups (retaining the last backup of the year or equivalent)

Incase of a disaster and I lose the computers, drives, or the entire network, Glacier should allow me to:
    Keep long term storage of all the backup data safe. I don't care about things like Active Directory or file permissions, etc, this is strictly a backup of data files.

My assumption of restoring data in a disaster:
    I would need to pull the data from Glacier > S3 and then download back to a USB drive and somehow re-import the catalog of data into CloudBerry. I'm not sure if there's a way to determine what data I would need from Glacier or if I would need to get everything?

Thanks for your time... Do you have any suggestions on how to accomplish or a better way to accomplish this? I am just wanting to backup the family's home data shares from each of the kids network shares on different computers (Windows, NAS, etc.)

Steve
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet