• James Wilmoth
    Greetings,

I would like to better understand the versioning options. Please detail what settings would need to be in place for the following use case variations:

Use case 1: Keep all versions; purge everything older than 90 days
    Backup runs daily
    Assume file changes daily

Use case 2: Keep all versions; purge everything older than 90 days
    Backup runs daily
    Assume file changes infrequently, such as once a month

Use case 3: Keep only last 14 versions; purge everything older than 90 days
    Backup runs daily
    Assume file changes infrequently, such as once a month

Figure 1: My current settings
    chrome-2019-06-17-09-39-11.png

Note: I have already referenced the Managed Backup guide and also https://www.cloudberrylab.com/resources/blog/backup-retention-policies/ but need to understand how the settings work in practice.
  • Matt
    Your retention policy will work for use cases 1 and 2, for 3 you need to tick the option to keep 14 versions of each file.

Note that in the third case the software will purge files according to the first triggered rule, i.e. even if you don't have 14 versions of a file old versions will still be purged based on time-based retention and vice versa.
  • James Wilmoth
    Perfect. That's what I thought when I first configured this policy, but I was second guessing my assumption that all versions would be kept by default unless the Keep number of versions (for each file) option was specified.
  • James Wilmoth
    I understand that the controlling mechanism for retention as a whole is the Delete versions older than option.
  • James Wilmoth
    Thanks for the fast response!
  • Anton Zorin
    James,
    Here's an example:
    Retention policy:
    Condition A: Keep 2 versions.
    Condition B: Delete after 90 days, always keep the last version.

If both conditions are checked then it will be: (A) OR (B).
    In other words, if you run backup daily and files being changed, on day 3 it will start deleting the 1st version.
    And in another case with the same conditions if a backup is running daily but files are haven't changed this will not be purged even after 120 or 365 days.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment