• Jeff Liu
    I'm familiar with the old format and have been using it for years. We have a process that uses CloudBerry to copy/backup data that is on prem and moves it to a cloud storage account. In that account we have jobs that move those files around based on different retention policies. ie. Yearly, monthly, weekly. We would move those files to different storage accounts. This new format is confusing and I'm not sure if our process will work anymore. These are SQL Database backups (.bak) so they are single write files and wouldn't ever change.
    In the new format, I've selected recurring (Incremental) and Execute full backup (synthetic full if possible) because I can't use an incremental when I need the full backup and move it somewhere else. However, the file store is just a bunch of archive.000000.cbl so I can't grab just one file from last week and move it. I need help please and would like to rollback to the previous format if possible.

• Steve Putnam
    The new format is not really suited for file backups such as you describe. IMHO, you should stick with the legacy format for SQL backup files, and any other file based cloud backups. We use the new format for Image/HYPERV VM backups which have a short retention perod (1-2 weeks), as it allows us to do synthetic fulls which reduces the full backup runtime by 75-80%
  • Jeff Liu
    Do you know how we can go back to the legacy format? It's a new install of MSP360 and I don't know if there is an option to go back to the legacy format.
  • Steve Putnam
    If you deleted all the legacy format data from the cloud, then you’d have to re-upload everything, but it may be worth it. Question: are you using SQL license from MSP360 or are you just backing up the .Bak files?
  • Jeff Liu
    Just backing up the .bak files. I'm not quite clear on what you mean by I have to re-upload everything. The new msp360 is backing up in the new format and I would like it to back up in the old format if its possible.
  • Steve PutnamAccepted Answer
    Not sure what your retention period is, and whether you have a requirement for using GFS.
    But assuming you don’t need GFS, if you want to keep say 90 days of backups, you would need to start backing up using legacy format going forward and keep the existing new format .bak files for 90 days until you can safely delete them from cloud storage. I use Cloudberry Explorer to delete the files that are no longer needed.
    I assume that you are not using the MSP360 SQL backup, so it is a little trickier to keep only 90 days of .bak files since as you stated, they are all unique files and would never get purged. There is a way to do it and I would be happy to explain how to set it up if you want.
    Just to clarify, you can’t change exisiting backups from one format to another.
    If you still have the .bak files from the past x days on primary storage, you could back them up again using legacy format and then you could delete the NBF .bak files right away.
  • Jeff Liu
    I just found it. I was racking my brain on where to change the setting to use the legacy format. Then I see the little down arrow under files that gives the option File Backup and File Backup (Legacy). That's what I was missing the whole time. Sorry to waste your time as I wasn't even on the same page...!! Thanks again!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment