• tech34986
    Pleasant greetings all. I am hoping to get some tips or direction on the optimal way to configure a backup plan that results in the following. I currently have my back up plan set to backup specific folders 3 times a day. I want to have it so that if I'm changing a file all day long at the end of the day I have 3 different backed up copies provided that file was altered between each scheduled backup period. Storage space consumed isn't an issue I'm not concerned with ending up with hundred's of copies of unnecessary files in my particular use case. Any thoughts, tips ,or suggestions that could give me a direction to go in are very much welcomed and wholly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Brian
  • David Gugick
    What do you want to happen on Day 2? Do you want the oldest backup from Day 1 removed after a Day 2 backup backs up the same file? Meaning, do you want to only keep the latest 3 versions of each file in backup storage or are you looking to keep more versions?
  • tech34986
    Thank you David your response is much appreciated. At the moment I'd like to keep an indefinite number of files to be removed after a period of 3 years. The average file size I work with is <50M and I'd be surprised to see more than 50-100 ever being manipulated in a single day. Many files are honestly under 10M. I wanna be able to generate layered backups of altered files up to 3 per day I back up on a schedule of 10am 2pm and 6pm every day.
  • David Gugick
    0lrfsppe8h1qiqbr.png

Then you want to keep files for 3 years from modified date and not enable the # of Versions option. You'll have to decide how you want to handle retention of files that are deleted on the computer. In the example screenshot I sen them to be removed after a year. But you can leave this option disabled if you want to keep everything.
  • tech34986
    Hello again David good sir. I'm sorry for the delayed response but today is the first chance I've had to address this. It appears I already had this configured correctly and had not understood how the software displayed multiple versions of the same file. Can you confirm that the highlighted files are indeed the software showing the multiple copies of the same file? Thank you again for your assistance and response it has been very much appreciated!
    Attachment
    Maybe working (45K)
  • David Gugick
    Yes. That screenshot shows you have two versions of the Work in Progress document stored in backup storage and either can be restored.
  • tech34986
    Awesome thank you so much for your time and advice. I should have played with it more before reaching out. However I was apparently over thinking things and assumed there was little chance I'd get it right on the first try. Either way your assistance has been very welcomed.
    Issue resolved.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet