• SamboNZ
    I am having problems with my synthetic fulls bloating to ~3x their expected size.

My total data to backup is ~250GB (compressed), but my fulls are now ~750GB in size.

I can see that during the synthetic full backup it copies close to 750GB of data, then adds the a small amount of additional data for the current month.

I'm thinking maybe it's my retention settings, but I'm not sure why.

My intention for retention is to keep fulls & incrementals for the last 3 months.

Here are my retention settings:
    Qereisa.png

The reason I specify 3 months for 'Keep files for' AND 3 months for the monthly GFS settings is that this is a dry run for enabling MSP360 managed Compliance Immutability. My understanding is Immutability functions based on the GFS settings only.

Based on those settings, what I'm expecting to happen is:
    - Synthetic fulls pull ~250GB of required data from the last month's full backup and result in an ~250GB full backup
    - Fulls and incrementals are kept for 3 months

To me,it's almost like the backup is interpreting my settings as 'Include the last 3 monthly fulls in every monthly backup, because you want to keep them for 3 months'.

My expectation is that it would achieve this by keeping the old monthly backup files on the storage as they are, not roll them all into the current month as well.

The only other factor in all of this is that I have a 90 day compliance object lock on the storage BUCKET, so maybe it's expecting to be able to delete something and it can't??

Can anyone see what the issue is here?
  • Alexander Negrash
    I have explained how backup schedule and retention works in this thread - https://forum.msp360.com/discussion/9437/help-understanding-retention-policies . Let me know if it helps
  • SamboNZ
    That confirms my understanding of how the policies work in general ,

However, my main issue is the tripling of the size of the full backup. As far as I can see this shouldn't be happening. Do you have any ideas as to what might be going on here?

Just so you know, I am running daily incrementals and monthly fulls, with no intermediate weekly fulls.
  • Alexander Negrash
    Do you see each backup doubling/tripling in size on the Backup Storage tab? Can you send a screenshot?
  • SamboNZ
    Hi ,

I don't have the history of the initial full backups to show the bloat as it progressed, but this month there was an error during the full backup and when I manually initiated one, it couldn't link to the previous generations so started again with a new generation from scratch.

This is why I noticed the big size discrepancy, given that it was backing up exactly the same files via the same backup job.

Here's the recent history & size totals:
    HHnxYDI.png
  • SamboNZ
    To be clear, the size on disk has been relatively constant at ~300-330GB during all backup periods shown above.
  • Alexander Negrash
    This looks odd. Can you please DM me your contact email address, and I will involve one of our engineers to investigate this further?
  • D Cameron DeHeer
    Hello,
    I am having a similar issue, were you able to find a solution to this?
    Thanks in advance,
    Cameron
  • Alexander Negrash
    What version of the software are you running? There were similar issues on versions before 7.9.1
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment