• Richard Amiss
    Hi,

I'm thoroughly confused as to what the keep bitlocker checkbox next to each partition does when performing an image based backup.

All of my drives are protected with bitlocker so does checking the box really backup with bitlocker enabled and thus allow you to restore your entire drive with bitlocker fully enabled (ie a 1:1 sector bare metal encrypted backup)? There are issues restoring bitlocker bare metal sector backups (especially on new hardware), so this seems troublesome, although awesome if it works.

I wish there was a help balloon popup over this checkbox.

Thanks!

Richard

• MattAccepted Answer
    Hi!

- When this option is enabled, the drive is backed up as is, with BitLocker encryption preserved. As a result, you will not be able to restore individual files from an encrypted volume afterwards. BitLocker encryption will be preserved for a disk image restored from such a backup.

- When this option is disabled, the backup service will decrypt the volume contents during the backup processing. A disk volume copy restored from this backup will not be encrypted as a result. This enables you to restore individual files from an unencrypted image-based backup.

BitLocker encryption is not preserved when backing up individual files and folders.
  • Richard Amiss
    Thank you for that answer. I'll assume then that a "keep bitlocker" encrypted image does not allow block level updates?
  • Matt
    Block-level option is actually still available if you use "keep bitlocker" option.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment