• Altay Ayyuce
    G'day,

Hopefully a quick question - Assume I have two identical files but in different locations (Disk D & Network Share) and I'm only backing up the file on the Network Share for the time being (to AWS Glacier). If I wanted to instead backup the file on Disk D to Glacier, will it actually perform the backup - i.e. upload the file to the backup location or is Cloudberry smart enough to know it's the same file therefore only index it BUT not actually upload it to the backup location (i.e Glacier)?

Cheers,
    Altay
  • Matt
    The software will upload the file one more time, since it has a different folder path in that case.
  • Altay Ayyuce
    Thx Matt. Is there anyway to trick the software so as not to upload the file again?
    Cheers,
    Altay
  • Matt
    You can simply exclude that file when creating your backup plan and the software won't upload it from a different source location.
  • Altay Ayyuce
    ...ok...sorry to harp on this, what if I was backing up individual folders inside Drive E: and then wanted to change the Backup source location to Drive E only and remove the individual folders from the backup source location. Will it upload all the folders again or know that they're already backed up? See below:

Original Backup (Name - Backup Photos):
    Folder A:
    Folder B:
    Folder C:

NB: Folder A, B, C are all inside Drive E:

New Backup (Name - Backup Photos)
    Drive E

Excuse the basic questions but I'm only getting to know how C'berry works.
    Cheers,
    Altay
  • Matt
    The main problem here is Glacier storage class Itself.

Here's how this usually can be done with any other cloud destination:
    You need to make sure the path in the cloud mirrors the one on the source by deleting/renaming the folders in the cloud and then synchronize the repository for that destination via tolls > options > repository menu in the backup software.

Since we're talking about Glacier, COPY operations are allowed due to how Glacier API operates, so the most efficient option is to start from scratch using new source location.
  • Jon T
    Friendly suggestion (which works for me):

Set up a storage bucket just for testing. Create test backup jobs that backup a small, toy, set of data (so the backups run quickly) but are rigged to exercise what you want to test (like your directory setup in your post).

Because these jobs and their data are isolated from my "production" data, I can run backup jobs to my heart's content to experiment with how various backup/restore job settings work. I take that learning and implement them in my production jobs.

Short summary: Not sure how something works? Run a small test job.
  • Altay Ayyuce
    Thx Jon, that's exactly what I did to verify. Basically if I change the Source location of the backup to the root folder (instead of individual files under the root folder) then Cloudberry realises that essentially the paths are the same and it does not upload all the files again.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment