• Chasim
    I just replaced my PC and moved Cloudberry to the new one (which was quite easy using export/import configuration). My backups are running fine, but the backup prefixes have the old computer name. Since I change PCs (relatively) frequently, I would like the backup prefixes to be a generic name. Is it possible to change the backup prefix names without running fresh backups (i.e. re-uploading everything)?

Thanks.

P.S. I backup to AWS and tried to see if I could change the names there, figuring I could then edit the names in Cloudberry storage. However, the option to rename was grayed out.
  • Chasim
    Thanks for the reply, although I am a little confused. I already continued the backup on my new PC, which is what the first part of the article is about. The second part is about changing the drive letter, if necessary, on the new PC, although it wasn't necessary for me.

Are you saying that I can rename the backup prefixes by using CloudBerry Explorer?
  • David Gugick
    If you ran backups from the new PC, then in all likelihood everything was uploaded again (new prefix and and no repository sync). Was that your impression from your examination? If so, do you need the old backups? Usually you’d change the prefix and sync before running the backup on the new PC. I think it’s probably best to open a support ticket with all the details to ensure the backup data you need preserved is properly kept. If one of the solution architects can answer here in the post based on the info provided, I’ll ask they do that. But you can open a ticket from Tools - Diagnostic and reference this post and get direct help with Support.
  • Chasim
    As I indicated before, my backups are running fine. I have no problems with CBB on the new PC and the backups picked up exactly where they left off. I don't have any issues with CBB. I am just trying to figure out if the names of the existing backup prefixes can be changed (as a matter of convenience) without running entirely new backups.

Thanks.
  • Matt
    You can create custom prefix with any name you want when selecting it, but you'd still need to select it upon new installation.
    You can even do that right now by renaming CBB_Prefix folder to anything you want so it looks like "CBB_Anythingyouwant" and then specify the same prefix when editing storage account(just type it in manually). Then you just need to sync repository via tools > options > repository and that's it.
    This is only applicable to situations where the rest of the folder structure stays the same.
    Otherwise, there shouldn't be any problems with backup prefix.
  • Chasim
    Thanks for your post, but when you say "You can even do that right now by renaming CBB_Prefix folder...", I am not sure how to do that because the actual prefix name is not shown in the Backup Storage tab of CBB. Do I need to use CloudBerry Explorer to rename it?
  • Matt
    Yeah, if it's a cloud destination you'd need Explorer to do that.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment