• Gerry
    I'm backing up my full home directory to a USB external drive, which includes a lot of git repos and other compressed items. It seems I get "Unknown error" backing up some of these compressed files in the gui and email report.

From the log files I see:

Error open destination file data, to append data path: /media/glachac/TardisBackup/CloudBerry/CBB_tardis/CBB_VOLUMES/home/glachac/private_html/tt-rss/.git/objects/pack/pack-e7ee1e1af993de62e47c4e4e7252361133f08e59.pack$/20170526204535/pack-e7ee1e1af993de62e47c4e4e7252361133f08e59.pack message: Permission denied

Which doesn't make a lot of sense, since that is the output file. Any ideas?
  • David Gugick
    Maybe the path is too long for the destination drive. How is the external drive formatted? I would try copying on the files in question with a shorter name and see if that fixes the problem. If you submit the logs to Support, they will be able to get to real issue quickly.
  • Gerry
    Formatted ext4, but the length is not too long, I can touch the file specified with no issue.

I'm reluctant to submit the logs. I took a look and the logs list the files being backed up in clear text. Unfortunately, since I have my files arranged in directories by my customer base, I feel that has too much proprietary information in it to just send out (i.e. my complete customer list)

I suspect it might be associated with compressing a compressed file, so I'm giving not compressing a shot.
  • David Gugick
    If you don't want to submit the logs, have a look at the error in the log on the file in question. Compressing shouldn't be an issue.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment