• Colin
    Hello,
    My client has a Windows Server 2016 Hyper-V (no gui) installed running 1 VM, currently. I would like VM backed up for full quick restore stored locally on NAS. Additionally I would like file level backups done on the VM('s) themselves to wasabi. I may put a copy or two of the full VM backup on wasabi also.
    What setup would be best in my case and which product(s)?

I actually went ahead and installed the VM license version on the Hyper-V server 2016. I cannot access the GUI on this machine. However using the RMM in my portal I was able to setup a backup and appears to work, however I feel the options are limited and this practice is maybe not the best option/method for my deployment.

Any advice would be appreciated.
  • Matt
    Setting up and performing backups via RMM is actually the best choice in your case.

There's not much to recommend here, to be honest. For all of your backups just use these instructions to create and manage your plans.

If you're using just one VM you can install desktop/server license on it(unless you also want to back up some data from the host) and use image-based functionality.
  • Colin
    Matt, thanks I just wanted to make sure I was using as intended and have the correct product(s). Also thanks for the link that is most helpful.

I'll test a restore to make myself happy I see for Hyper-V you have to go the route of Importing the 'VM' once restored to a location.

Thanks
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet