• Roger Averdahl
    I prefer to do Archive Mode backups since some of them will be uploaded to the cloud. Restoring files is one of the most important features in any backup application for obvious reasons but for Archive Mode based it either don´t work at all or the whole backup must be restored instead of only one are a couple of files.

For example:
    If i make a full Archive Mode backup to Backblaze of 900 files and then try to restore one (1) file it fails everytime. I must restore the whole backup and then manually locate the one (1) file i wanted. When i get to the Type of Data dialog during the restore process all options are greyed out. Since they are greyed out it´s impossible to restore any data.

This is very inconvinient since:
    • One get´s confused when the restore fails, time after time when trying to restore only some files of the backup.
    • It takes significally longer time to restore the whole backup due to downloading times.
    • The trust for the application dives.

Why is this the case in a application aimed for MSP´s?

FYI, this happens for local Archive Mode backups as well. See support ticket [## 292369 ##] for more info about the severe limitations when it comes to restoring Archive Mode based backups.

restorewizard.png
  • Matt
    Archive mode will be overhauled in version 7.0 and will actually be the main mode of the backup.

As for the file-level restore from an archive, you need to right-click on the data in the archive on the backup storage tab and select "restore" option. Let me know if you have any issues while performing the operation.
  • Roger Averdahl
    I really like that Archive mode will be overhauled and be the default mode. Coming from having used and still use Acronis True Image i would suggest to having the option to perform Archive backups creating only one (1) final file instead of todays several files.

And, there must be a way to having the possibility to move one archive to another computer and easly restore it. Please store all meta data within the archive file so one can move an archive to another computer and being able to restore it on the second computer. This does not work today. CBB cannot use just the archive to restore and this is a major drawback if the drive fails but you happen to have a backup of the backup on another drive.

This is the case for all backup modes, that you cannot freely move the backup and place it in another folder and having CBB to "read" those backups and restore the files. For me any backup application should be able to restore backups if a disaster happens such as the media were the backup is located dies.

When using Acronis True Image i can move my backup files to a fresh install of Windows and place them anywhere and restore the files without problems. Acronis True Image stores everything in the single backup file, so there is no need for some kind of CBB_Configuration to be placed at the correct file path and on the exact drive letter.

As for having problems to restore Archive mode backups:
    On the attached image i want to restore the file named Mail.pst . If i right click on the file Mail.pst and choose Restore in the pop-up the restore will fail, every time. If i right click on the folder to the left in the image named Outlook and choose restore everything works as expected. Seems like a bug to me.

So, even if i choose Restore when i click on a file in an Archive backup the restore will fail. This is not the case for Advanced or Simple mode backups. Try it and you will see the difference. I am using CBB version 6.2.6.3.

If there is a beta for 7.0, please sign me up! :)

I want to switch from Acronis True Image to CBB due to the option to choose different cloud options. Acronis True Image is limited to Acronis Cloud only and their cloud is sub par compared to other alternatives. But today i have some concerns regarding CBB since restoring files are imo flawed. Restoring must be flexible and should not just work as expected when the computer works. If the backup drive dies i should be able to restore from backups of the backup i have placed on an external drive without any workarounds and lot´s of testings. Restore must be rock solid, everytime.

Skip the CBB_Configuration and store all data required for CBB to being able to restore within each backup. I expect that having the folder 20200305144702 that for me is located at K:\CBB_Z440\CBB_Archive\Test\archive.cbl$ should be the only folder needed for a complete restore. CBB must be able to scan that folder and find all necessary meta data required for a restore. :)

restore-archive.png
  • Roger Averdahl
    See my answer abowe! :)

As a side note i think the folder 20200305144702 i referred to abowe should being able to restore even if the end user renames the folder. All data needed for restore should be stored withing the folder and the name of the folder should not be a problem. The end user shall be able to rename the folder to a more friendly name in case they need.

And, i think the naming convention of 20200305144702 should be changed to something that is more easy to read, such as 2020-03-05--14-47-02. Or, NameOfBackup-2020-03-05--14-47-02.
  • Matt
    Happy to report that most of the things you mentioned will be in version 7.0. It's too early to talk about the beta, the build is in internal alpha testing now, but things are going fine, we'll try to release it in Q2.

As for the problem with file restoration, I would suggest to send us the diagnostic logs via tools > diagnostic menu after reproducing the issue one more time.
  • Roger Averdahl
    I did just reproduce the failed restore and did send the data, including the event logs.

Great to hear that things will change in 7.0! :)
  • Yuri Alexandrov

I also want to be a 7.0 beta tester! Where I can sign up? :-)
  • Matt
    Too early right now, I'm afraid. The internal testing is going fine and there will be a big announcement regarding the release, so you won't miss it.
  • Roger Averdahl
    ...we'll try to release it in Q2.Matt
    Any ETA on when v7 will be released? :)
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal