• Tony Webster
    I've used Cloudberry Backup before, and I've just installed it on my laptop. After running it, I just get a "frame" of the program, which is actually transparent in the middle - see attached for an example, with a bit of an explorer window behind it.

I uninstalled, rebooted, and reinstalled with the same results.

Any idea what I could try next?

Thanks
    Attachment
    cloudberry_frame (5K)
  • David Gugick
    Are you using the latest version? Which OS are you running?
  • Tony Webster
    I'm using Cloudberry Backup 6.3 on Windows 10 ("VER" command shows "10.0.18362.720", Windows update showing version 1903 - not sure why it hasn't automatically updated to 1909)
  • David Gugick
    The engineering team is investigating. I'll report back once I have an update.
  • Tony Webster
    Thanks David - happy to try anything you suggest. I might force the update to 1909 in the interim to see if that makes any difference.
  • David Gugick
    A couple suggestions from the team. Another customer is having similar issues and the debug logs seem to indicate the issue is related to a video device driver issue.

1. If you're comfortable, you can edit the Registry. Just remember that changes to the registry can impact your system, so we recommend only doing this if you are comfortable in the registry editor.
    Add or create that registry value to see if the setting helps.
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Avalon.Graphics\DisableHWAcceleration
    add a DWORD and set the value to 1

Restart the computer. If this helps, please let us know. More information about this setting is located here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/wpf/graphics-multimedia/graphics-rendering-registry-settings

But I would consider this a debug test. If it helps, then this issue is likely with your video driver adn you may want to change the option back to 0 after #2 is complete below to avoid any negative performance impact to other applications.

2. Check the Computer manufacturer and / Video Driver company web site (for nVidia and AMD) and see if there is an updated driver for your card.
  • Tony Webster
    That registry hack did make a difference - the software starts now.

The graphics adapter is "Intel(R) HD Graphics 520", in a Lenovo Yoga 710. Searching for a new driver gives "The best drivers for you device are already installed". The driver version is 21.20.16.4627

I'm more concerned about backing the machine up than getting optimum graphics performance, at least for the time being, so that helps a lot.

Thanks
  • David Gugick
    Good to know. Make a note of what you changed in case you want to change it back in the near future.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment