• Jeroen Hoof
    Hello

We're looking into using your software as a remote control solution for our current COVID-19 sparked problems. Something we've been wondering is if it's possible to somehow filter the incoming connections. Either by seperating the 'client' and 'server' software completely (thus having 2 different installers, one for allowing outgoing and one for incoming connections) or by assigning some sort of 'domain name' with a filtering.

Simply put: an employee is allowed to connect to certain desktop, but we wouldn't want incoming connections on said employee's laptop.

Is that possible? I haven't found the feature yet.

Kind regards
  • David Gugick
    In Options, go to the Security page and you can Prevent Incoming Connections - which would prevent anyone using RA from establishing a remote connection to that device. Does that address your need?
  • Jeroen Hoof
    Hey David, that would indeed address our need. However, we wouldn't want our employees to be able to uncheck this option themselves. Is it possible to shield this?

Using the Managed Remote Assistant, does disabling the direct connections and installing the modified client (and disabling the configuration options) have the same result?
  • Jeroen Hoof
    FYI: i tried disabling the GUI and making the connection with CLI using a script, which works like a charm. One remark: when closing the connection, the GUI of the application starts (even tho the install is configured without GUI permissions, using the Managed Remote Control)
  • Jeroen Hoof
    Update: If it would be possible to generate an install script that automatically ticks the option 'prevent incoming connections' along with the 'access to configuration' limitation in the Managed Remote Assistant, our needs would be addressed completely
  • David Gugick
    Right now, there is no programmatic method to change the Prevent option. But, you can set it in the XML configuration file which is located in ProgramData\Remote Assistant\RASettings.xml in the entry called <PreventIncomingConnection> - set it to true.

I will add these requirements to the command-line interface subsystem for the team to review.
  • Jeroen Hoof
    This is exactly what we've been looking for. Thanks for the answer!
  • Jeroen Hoof
    While testing your solution, we encountered another problem. If you modify the xml file to prevent incoming connections and disable the option menu, there still is a workaround. If you click on the 'box' in the GUI that says the connection is disabled, it prompts you to the option page to enable it. Thus completely bypassing the limitation in the xml file...

We'll keep looking for a workaround on this, but i assume this behaviour isn't ment to be?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment