• HYBRID BEING
    A few days ago i've had a BSOD on my Win10 (accidentaly hit laptop on a doorcorner). It didn't seem to do much damage outside of Chrome session file getting corrupted (history remained safe though), so i wasn't much worried about it.

However, after i launched RA today, i've recieved an error, which i, unfortunately, didn't record. It was something about RA being unable to read file (settings file maybe?). After i clicked through the error message, RA launched with default settings (at least i think they are default ones) and empty address book and recent connections. I've restarted RA in hope i'll get an error again, but it no longer appeared.

I've tried checking %ProgramData%\Remote Assistant and it seems RaSettings.xml file was replaced without a backup. The old log file ended with a stream of NUL characters and it doesn't look like error was recorded in a new log file, but here are both, just in case.
  • David Gugick
    Sounds like the crash caused some data corruption. Hard to know if it's physical damage from the door hit or software related. I'd recommend you make sure to back up your RA setting file along with other important files as a part of your regular backup plan.

I'll let the engineering team know what happened just in case it's something software related. I've also removed your log files from the post as they contain some information you may not want published publicly.
  • HYBRID BEING
    Yeah, real cause would be hard to track at this point. My main qualm with the situation though is that error wasn't logged and corrupted settings file was not preserved - perhaps, i could have salvaged something from it.
  • David Gugick
    I don't know if firing up RA after the corruption caused the settings file to be rewritten possibly on RA close. If you don't currently back up, you can recreate the settings file and make a manual copy for safekeeping. Or you can use our MSP360 Backup for Windows to easily protect all your important documents if you're in the market for a new or replacement backup product.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment