• SGriffin
    Attempting to create a backup plan for Autodesk Vault backups. The Autodesk backup is a scripted, scheduled task. The issue I have is that the backup process creates a folder each time it runs (folder name is the date/time of backup, see attached screenshot), so the contents of this newly added folder will be backed-up to the cloud each day (as opposed to a block level backup if the files were all in the same root folder). Is there a way that I can "easily" handle this in the managed backup plan? Suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Attachment
    2020-06-09_8-04-54 (13K)
  • David Gugick
    If you have the parent folder selected for backup, then all sub-folders will be backed up dynamically each time the backup runs.
  • SGriffin
    Perhaps I did a poor job of explaining the issue, so let me try again. The Autodesk backup creates a new folder each scheduled backup, same files as the previous backup (approximately 30GB, same set of files, but FULL backup of each file, not incremental). So, my backup plan is copying 30GB daily to cloud storage, instead of only the block-level changes. I can handle this with a little file-level scripting, but thought there may be a better solution within the backup plan. Thanks.
  • David Gugick
    Block-level only works within files. It doesn't matter if your files have the same names as those used in other folders. They are treated as new files and need to be backed up in full. Since they are unlikely to ever change, they'll never be backed up again. If you start deleting older backups, they will eventually be removed from storage, depending on your retention settings. What's your desired retention as it relates to the Autodesk backup files? If it differs from other files you're backing up, you could create a separate backup plan for Autodesk.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment