• Michael A Pietrzak
    On this page...https://www.msp360.com/resources/blog/backup-retention-policies/

Half way down the page you have outined under the section "Block level Backup and retention policy". You have a nice graphic showing how one should run a weekly Full and daily incremental block level backups. It goes on to show the dialog box where you can select "Full backup" in the interface.

Why was the concept of "Full Backup" removed? Your new interface is confusing on how to accomplish the same techniques when performing a weekly full and incremental daily backups.

Please explain why you changed this and how I can accomplish the same thing with the current product.
  • David Gugick
    Just a terminology change. Full changed to Incremental, which it really was since all files in the backup set were never backed up in full as a group after the initial full backup.
  • Michael A Pietrzak
    "all files in the backup set were never backed up in full as a group after the initial full backup"

Okay, so on that page I linked to you have a graphic showing a (full) backup performed on Mondays with a three day retention. So are you telling me that the "full" or now the weekly incremental is not ALL the files in the directory and resets the archive bit?
  • David Gugick
    The only files that were or are backed up after the initial full are the ones that changed. We now call this an incremental backup (don’t get me started on the terminology change because I’m with you that the change was confusing). The entire file is backed up if changed.

If you schedule block-level backups, only the files that changed are backed up, and only the parts of those files that changed are backed up - Allows you to speed up backups by not having to back up large files that only changed in a small part.
  • Michael A Pietrzak
    So you're telling tell me then, that I need to keep my first full backup forever, because it contains old files that never change?

What if i set my retention policy to 15 days from backup date.

Again, by your description, incremental and block level are the same thing. Only backing up changed files. So I just keep backing up ad infinitum because there is no need for retention because clearly I need to keep backups going back months and years because a single file was changed at some point.

Why even have the distinction between incremental and block level since they're both just doing the same thing?
  • David Gugick
    No, you don’t as the initial full is not a single set, but instead each file backed up in its entirety and each file can be removed for retention needs independently of any other. Incremental and block level are not the same as I’ve described previously in this post.
  • Michael A Pietrzak
    You really need to figure out the terminology then because you say "only files that were or are backed up after the initial full are the ones that changed. We now call this an incremental backup"

But yet a block level is "only the files that changed are backed up"'

What's even more hilarious is that I have a backup set for a recurring "predefined" template of weekly incremental and daily block. Yet the weekly incremental does not get all the files in the directory. They are ALL JUST INCREMENTALS.
  • David Gugick
    That's what it is. I agree the terms can be confusing. Some of that has to do with the flexibility in scheduling what we call incremental and block-level backups. We allow you to schedule them, so we have to give them names :-(
  • Michael A Pietrzak
    Will this be continued onto version 7?
  • Michael A Pietrzak
    Why even have block and incremental? WHy not just run incremental for all backups?
  • David Gugick
    Incremental backs up the entire file each time it is changed. Block level only backs up the changes within the file to save storage and reduce backup time.
  • David Gugick
    Let me also add that you do not have to use Block-Level Backups. Especially if you either do not have a need or do not want the added complexity in scheduling and retention. They are optional, and if you ignore that scheduling option, then you can think of backups as incremental forever. Every time a file changes it will be backed up in full.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment