• Carl Seibert
    Hi,
    I have to restore some big directories. I have the files on a local hard drive (quicker) or I can restore directly from the cloud if that's needed.
    What I want to accomplish is to avoid re-uploading nearly a terabyte of unchanged data (and chewing up a ton of bandwidth) when the restored files are in place. Working around work hours in my SOHO office, that would take about a week.
    The backup job did run after the hard drive failed. So, Cloudberry has "seen" the mount point empty. (This is Cloudberry for Linux, we're talking about.)
    Is there a way to tell Cloudberry to pick up from when last the server was in good order?
    Can it be done?
    Thanks.
    -Carl
  • David Gugick
    Please refer to this KB article. The screenshots are from the Windows version, but the same concepts apply. Think of the rebuilt hard drive as a new computer. You can set things up as they were before and sync up repository to avoid having existing files re-uploaded if they already exist in backup storage.

https://www.msp360.com/resources/blog/how-to-continue-backup-on-another-computer/

But you can also restore from the cloud if you want. How long that takes will depend on the number of files, the total restored file size, internet bandwidth, and possible data egress charges from your cloud storage provider. Generally speaking, a restore from a network share, NAS, or local disk will be faster than a cloud restore if you have a local backup. How much faster does depend a lot on the variables mentioned earlier.
  • Carl Seibert
    Cool. So, in my case, should I just use the same backup plan that I already have built and do a "synchronize repository"? (After I have the files back at the same path, of course.) Or do I need to make a new backup plan?

And is it going to be an issue that the backup ran and saw the empty and/or corrupt directories?
  • David Gugick
    What did it do on that last backup? Did it back up corrupted files or delete backups for files that did not seem to be there any longer? If it backed up corrupted files (and assuming you were keeping more than one version for retention), you can restore using something like the Backup Period or Point in Time on the Restore Point tab. If the last backup deleted files, then you can use the restore deleted files option.

Regarding you first question, you can use the same backup plan.
  • Carl Seibert
    It threw a "Warning: One or more backup paths don't exist"* error on what looks to be the first run after the problem. It subsequently has run two more times, each showing "Success", with either 0 files backed up or, oddly, 1.

When I go into Backup Storage, all of the paths exist and files appear to be where they are supposed to be. So, crossing fingers, it appears to me that I can do "Synchronize Repository" and all will be good.

* Might need to convene the High Grammar Court on that error message :-)
  • David Gugick
    In most cases, a folder that disappears at the source would not affect backups as the product will detect this as a missing folder and likely leave backups as they are. But you can view the History (File View) and see exactly what was done on those executions.

If everything looks good, then run the restore (do not restore deleted files). If, however, you see that some files were marked for deletion in backup storage because of the corrupted / missing source folders, then you can restore deleted files - although I'd probably limit the restore in that case to the affected folders and restore everything else normally. Worst case scenario would be if you were not delaying the deletion of file backups for files that appear to be deleted at the source or if you backed up corrupted files and were not keeping multiple versions.

Grammar vs Engineers. It's a global problem.
  • Carl Seibert
    I have the replacement replacement drive in hand now (The second one. First time ever I've gotten a bad drive out of the box.) I'll let you know how it comes out.

>Grammar vs Engineers. It's a global problem. Shoooot. I worked for newspapers for years. Professional writers are as grammar challenged as the rest of us.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment