• Jim McLachlan
    Hiya!

New to the product so perhaps a basic question. I searched for a similar question but was unable to locate anything.

I tried to create an image of a Windows 10 desktop drive. The size of the drive is about 225GB but only 66GB is in use. It looks like CloudBerry will create an image of the entire 225GB because it ran out of space on my target drive for the image, which is 150GB. Is there a way to tell CloudBerry to only create an image file of the partitions "being used"?
  • David Gugick
    Can you verify your backup version?

We do not back up unused space, so the error message is likely related to something else. Please check your TEMP location in Options (Memory Options). If there is no path explicitly set, then open a command window and type in %TEMP% to see where temp files are going. Please verify that location / drive has sufficient free space. If not, consider moving your temp location in Backup in the the Options screen.

This could also be related to retention and a new full backup. On an existing plan that has been running for some time and needs to perform a new full backup according to the schedule and retention settings, the full backup needs to complete before the old backups are removed based on retention settings. So if you had 500 GB space in backup storage, 400 GB was in use from previous backups, and the new full needed 150 GB, the backup would fail even if there were 200 GB of backups that would have been deleted after the successful backup. Not sure if this applies to you.

Can you post the exact error message as written in the History tab for that plan.
  • Jim McLachlan
    Hi David, thanks for your prompt and concise reply. The message in the history tab simply says "There is not enough space on the disk.". See attachment. Also note the size, which is the size of the drive.

Typing %TEMP% at a command prompt did not yield anything (well, invalid command) so I typed "SET" and Temp is set to my account's "...Appdata\local\temp" folder, which also has a lot of space. When you say "ensure it has sufficient space", how much space are we talking about for an image being created for 66GB?
    Attachment
    History (46K)
  • Jim McLachlan
    @David Gugick

Unsure how to verify the backup version but I just downloaded it yesterday if that helps.
  • David Gugick
    Stay tuned. I'm waiting for some info from the engineering team.
  • David Gugick
    support went ahead and tested this scenario and cannot reproduce. So, they are asking you to send in the Logs using the Tools - Diagnostic toolbar option (please reference this post and mention I asked you to open a case). Also, can you confirm if Bitlocker is enabled on your Windows 10 PC?
  • Jim McLachlan
    Morning David, thanks for this. I will open a case and attach the log. Bitlocker is turned on and if I recall, there was an option and I selected to keep Bitlocker on within the image.
  • Jim McLachlan
    Just created:
    Case #: 00029704
    Subject: CloudBerry Backup Desktop Edition 6.3.3.126
  • Sergey Kosintsev
    The problem was resolved by disabling the "Keep BitLocker" option for partitions.

If you keep BitLocker encryption in your backup, the drive will not be shrunk to its minimum possible capacity. The software simply can not tell if the block of the drive is free or used, due to the block being encrypted.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment