• BillH
    Last week I just happened to fire up the Cloudberry user interface and found that I had not had a backup in over a week. Upon further investigation I found that since I upgraded my Windows 10 PC to the 1809 release, the Cloudberry Backup service fails to start whenever I perform a system restart. It seems that if the service is not running the scheduled backups won't run and there is no warning to indicate that you have a problem.

I contacted support with this issue and the Matt L, my support technician, was great as he provided me with a great deal of information that I was able to use to write a couple of utility scripts to keep me help me avoid this situation in the future.

Not to say anyone else is having a failure of the service starting because this could be something specific to my PC but if you have not checked your logs entries recently you may want to do so just to make sure your scheduled backups are really taking place.
  • Matt
    I would say this is an overkill, but you can actually share the script with us. I believe we already discussed that in one of our support tickets. If the script is indeed useful I can share it with our developers and we can constructively discuss it with our R&D.
  • BillH
    Matt,

Here's the script I wrote to make sure that the service is running. I saved the script below to a file called CBStart.vbs . I then opened the Task Scheduler on my Windows 10 PC and set up a task to run the .VBS file 15 minutes before my Cloudberry nightly backup is set to run. Note that on the task scheduler you have to check the checkbox on the General Tab so that the script will run with the highest privileges because with standard privileges command to start the service will not function. Note that when testing this script I rat it in a command prompt that I opened to run as an administrator. In regard to whether it's overkill or not depends on how important it is to run your nightly backup because as I mentioned previously if the service is not running, your backups are not taking place there's no warning to tell you that your backups are not taking place.

ServiceName = "Cloudberry Backup Service"
    Set wmi = GetObject("winmgmts://./root/cimv2")
    state = wmi.Get("Win32_Service.Name='" & ServiceName & "'").State
    If State = "Stopped" then
    Set shell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\.\root\cimv2")
    Set colListOfServices = objWMIService.ExecQuery ("Select * from Win32_Service Where Name ='" & ServiceName & "'")
    For Each objService in colListOfServices
    objService.StartService()
    Next
    shell.LogEvent 4, "CloudBerry Backup Service was restared"
    End If
  • Matt
    Thanks once again, quite interesting stuff.
  • Ted Fishman
    Bill,

I know its been two years but if your still around I wanted to let you know how helpful that script was to me. I like the product but with the service randomly stopping I had just about decided to go with something more reliable. I couldn't risk learning my backup had failed at a point I really needed it. I just got your script running and tested and I think the problem is hopefully solved. I see where cloudberry added functionality to the managed product to monitor for a stopped backup service but doesn't look like they added it to this product. I have a call into their tech support but after turning MSP360 they don't seem nearly as responsive as in the past. I'll send you a direct message as well if possible. Thanks again for taking the trouble to post your code.

Ted
  • BillH
    Ted,

Thanks for the feedback. It's always nice to hear that someone else found value in a solution you developed. I've not had any problems with backups not running since I added the script.

Bill
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet