• Lee Neville
    Our previous operational state was running backups on a server in a hybrid mode.

We've now P-to-V'd this server and now want to move the "guest" backup to be ran from the HyperV host in a hybrid mode.

We'd like to retain the current guest backup chain in the interim - how is this best accomplished? What are the implications for licensing moving from guest to host backup?
  • Lee Neville
    Hi there - installed the product on the host (new computer), registered exactly the same cloud storage account. Selected the same AWS bucket, specified the same prefix via advanced settings. Sync process occured.. Went to Backup Storage and nothing is presented. I have not configured a backup plan.

I don't see the file structure as per the old computer.

I also downloaded and installed the MSP Explorer Pro to check cloud side drive folder setttings and I do not find a drive letter.

Thoughts?
  • David Gugick
    Can I assume you're talking about the image backups? I assumed you had file backups as well. I'll check with the team, but I'm pretty sure there's no way to preserve the image backups on the new system since the drives are structured completely differently from their physical counterparts.
  • David Gugick
    So, I confirmed, and as I suspected, you cannot continue image-backups once you perform a restore to a new system or VM. Backups are block-based and tied to hardware IDs of the disks and that means you'll need to start fresh on the new server VM. You can, however (and obviously), keep the original physical server image backups around as long as needed until you are ready to remove them permanently.
  • Lee Neville
    HI David - sounds perfectly reasonable. I'll circle back with my team and share your observations.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment