• theFlash
    I have a Windows 2012 server running an IIS website, with a SQL server backend (its a cloud server). I have a script which periodically backups up the database and copies the website files to a directory on the server. I wish to now securely copy the directory, periodically, to a secure backup area such as Amazon glacier.

In the event of a disaster, I'd manully create a new server, then copy the database and directory backup from the Amazon Glacier bucket.

I don't believe I need the server version of Cloudberry do I? Will the desktop version running on Windows Server suffice?
  • David Gugick
    If you want to run the backup on the Windows Server machine then you'll need the Server Edition of CloudBerry Backup. if you want to expose the files as a network share, then you could run the Desktop Pro version from another Windows desktop OS. if you wanted CloudBerry to manage the SQL Server database backups, you could opt for the SQL Server Edition. You have a few choices, depending on how you want to manage the server.

As far as Glacier, I would recommend you back up to S3 Standard and then move the files to Glacier with a lifecycle policy. That way, file listings are maintained in S3 for all files in Glacier. Glacier has a 4-6 hour time to first byte latency (without using expedited retrievals) and a 90 day retention minimum (for billing purposes). Another option would be to back up to S3 - Infrequent Access, leave the data there for 30 day (the minimum for S3-IA) and then transition to Glacier. Since it's likely restores would be from files in the past 30 days, this would result in much faster restore times without the added data out charges and latency from Glacier. The transitions between storage classes can be managed from Tools | Lifecycle Policy or from the Amazon AWS Management Console.
  • theFlash
    Thanks David. You've slightly confused me as I'm not too familiar with the Amazon set up nor CloudBerry.. so a couple of questions:

With the CloudBerry server software (just for files/directories not SQL server or the os) - will it install/run ok on a cloud server (wither Windows 2012 or 2008R2)?

And with the Amazon storage - perhaps I'd just start with S3 to keep it simple whilst I familiarise myself - I can't imagine its too expensive (or is there a free Amazon option that might suffice?).

I'm looking at around 20gb I estimate, which will be backed up over the period of a week, then rotated/overwritten.
  • David Gugick
    With the CloudBerry server software (just for files/directories not SQL server or the os) - will it install/run ok on a cloud server (wither Windows 2012 or 2008R2)?theFlash

Yes

And with the Amazon storage - perhaps I'd just start with S3 to keep it simple whilst I familiarise myself - I can't imagine its too expensive (or is there a free Amazon option that might suffice?).theFlash

Depending on region, it's about 2.3 cents per GB for storage. You can estimate your storage on the AWS Calculator here: https://calculator.s3.amazonaws.com/index.html Click on Amazon S3 and enter an amount for Standard Storage at top and an amount for Data Transfer | Inter-Region Data Transfer Out (if the data is going to stay in the region) or use Data Transfer Out if you're going to pull it out of AWS for local use. The amount of data out is really an estimate of restores, so if you do not think you plan to do any, then leave it at 0.

Glacier is less expensive but it might be a good idea to avoid it until you read more about the pros and cons - moreso because your storage requirements are very low at 20 GB and also because you need to overwrite old data frequently. Some information here: https://www.cloudberrylab.com/blog/amazon-s3-storage-classes-explained/
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment