• RI IT Support
    Running 6.3.4.38 . Cloudberry now is requiring checkpoints to be enabled in order to complete hyper-v backups. Ok fine, I enabled checkpoints. Now I have full tree's of unmerged checkpoints for all my virtual machines.

If cloudberry is going to require checkpoints for hyper-v backups, it should be able to merge (delete) the checkbpoint after the backup operation is completed.

A tree of checkpoints can reduce VM performance from a disk I/O perspective. Cloudberry needs to actually test the results of the updates they make for huge application changes such as this!
  • David Gugick
    Merging the checkpoints should happen automatically. I had someone in Support test on Hyper-V and he was not able to reproduce this issue - all the checkpoints (both Production and Standard) were being merged right after the backup completed.

To see why you're running into this issue, we'll need to have you create a Support Ticket. You can open one up from the Tools | Diagnostic toolbar option or on the web site.

Thanks.
  • IsaacG
    We too are running into this issue at multiple sites. Cloudberry support said its a known issue but that thought makes me cringe that this could crash our servers. My colleague can comment more on this issue and maybe provide a fix.
  • Hunter
    I am now having this issue with 2 of our client machines as well. I will be opening a support ticket on it .
  • Connor
    We are seeing this across 18 sites currently, I've opened a ticket with no result thus far.
  • Connor
    Currently we have rebooted one host and it is currently merging the data for us where as we couldn't merge manually before... This is still a WIP and I'm not sure what the outcome will be.
  • Connor
    Update: restarting the vmms service will start a merge.
  • Bouke

I can confirm that this works. I did restart VMMS on several servers. Surprised about this easy fix. Thanks Connor :smile: :up:

I did also try AZSBTools Merge-VMDisks - which works - but shuts down the VM. Restarting VMMS results in a merge whilst the VM is online (which is preferable).
  • Connor
    The only problem is the issue continues to happen after the merge, so I ran backups on one of the machines after merging and the next day had the same issue again.
  • Patch
    Same issue here.
    I reported this in a ticket and it was immediately escalated.
    The Powershell command Merge-VHD worked great, however you will need to remove and re-add the drives on restart.
  • RI IT Support
    This is the best way to do this, perhaps there's a post backup plan script that can be run to restart the service and automatically complete these merges.

Issue still persists across multiple versions, strange I don't find other hyper-v backup providers customers reporting this issue.
  • Connor
    The test build 7.2.2 doesn't seem to have the issue (I've seen it on one server but it seems it may of been a fluke).
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment