• Damo
    Hi,

I have 7 copies of server edition, they all perform image backups of servers to both a BackBlaze bucket and Azure storage account. They alternate weeks. For months they have been working fine.

This week I'm getting email reports with the message :

The commercial edition has a (1.00 TB) limit for backup size, which was exceeded

I understand this message relates to the managed service of MSP360, however I'm not using this service, I pay for Azure and Backblaze storage independently which CB uses. There are no caps on my Backblaze service and my CB server edition(s) are correctly licenced.

How do I correct this and resume backups?
  • David Gugick
    You have it reversed. The managed products do not have any storage limits. However, all but the Ultimate edition of CloudBerry Backup have storage limits according to the product licenses. Please refer to this page for details: https://www.msp360.com/backup/windows.aspx

If you need additional storage, you should contact Sales or Support as they may still have add-ons available to purchase for the Server SKUs that can add additional storage for you.
  • Damo
    Hi David,

I see, thanks for the clarification.

However no single backup folder from my 7 (correction) 8 instances exceed 1TB. Collectively in backblaze the bucket exceeds 1TB but on a folder by folder basis (a folder = one machine) they do not.

Please see image attached, but I don't see I should be hitting this limit.

ovf5c7D.png
  • David Gugick
    It's a collective limit across all backups for that agent. You can reduce storage by eliminating any folders from backup that you do not really need backed up. You can also selectively remove large file backups from the Storage tab that are no longer needed in order to create temporary space to allow backups to continue. You can also change retention as needed by reducing the number of versions you are keeping, reduce total retention time, as well as possibly removing deleted files from backup storage after a delay. If you need help, then please post your backup details for guidance.
  • Damo
    It's a collective limit across all backups for that agent.

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand. I have 8 individual licensed agents on 8 servers pushing backups into the same backblaze bucket. Each folder is for an individual agent/server.
    In theory, it should be 1TB per folder and the folder is where the agent is backing up too.
  • David Gugick
    Each agent has a total storage limit of 1 TB for that license. That means, all backup data for all backup plans on each agent, have an aggregate 1 TB limit. If you're saying that one or more of the Backblaze B2 buckets for an agent has less than the 1 TB limit, then it's possible your storage need to be synchronized. A mismatch can happen if you delete B2 data from anywhere other than the agent's Storage tab. To run a consistency check, please refer to this help text: https://help.msp360.com/cloudberry-backup/backup-destinations/adding-a-cloud-storage/consistency-checks

You should know which agents are reporting the problem from the error messages.

And it's the total of B2 + Azure for each agent. Total across all cloud storage accounts for each agent. So, if you're alternating weeks, then you need to account for both storage targets. My guess are the plans that you showed in the screenshot that are both over 500 GB.
  • Damo
    Thanks David, I think we're getting to the crux of it.

You are saying that each CB agent is looking at the bucket size to determine the limit. So if 8 agents are consuming the same bucket, it's all contributing to the size information the agent is reading.

I guess each agent needs its own bucket in backblaze to correctly reflect the storage limits.
  • David Gugick
    I'm not saying that. It's only aggregate on the agent. I'll double check with the team to make sure it's not doing what you're suggesting, but I don't think it does. It uses the backup plans on that agent and aggregates all the data that's backed up based on the local data dictionary that's being kept. You mentioned earlier that you're backing up on alternate weeks to Azure and to B2, so my suggestion was to make sure that the total for all backup plans on each agent across both cloud storage providers is not over the one terabyte limit.
  • Damo
    ok, I see. Yes over both Azure and Backblaze the combined storage is 1TB.
  • David Gugick
    Let me offer an alternative for you. You have 8 licenses now. You would find using our Managed Backup product much easier to manage and upgrade, and it comes without any storage limitations.

Subscriptions are available both monthly and annually (with an additional 20% discount) off the normal discounted price. You said you are backing up servers, but if you are using the product, or need to use the managed product, on desktops and you use our Integrated AWS Storage instead of B2 and Azure, you can get desktop licenses for $1/month ($2 for non-MSPs).

In order to make the transition easier for you, we would provide you some credits based on your original CloudBerry Server Backup licenses so you do not feel like you're losing your original purchase spend.

If you would like to speak to Sales for more information about Managed Backup and get a quote based on your needs, please use this link: https://www.msp360.com/contact.aspx/?category=sales

I also do weekly webinars on Managed Backup. There is one scheduled tomorrow at 12 PM ET. You can register to learn more about the product and see the advantages over the manually managed product you're using today: https://get.msp360.com/webinar/getting-started-with-msp360-managed-backup

Let me know if you have any questions.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet