• Keith Luken
    I would like to see an option to do a clean orderly termination of a multi-threaded backup. I am moving many files to Azure and there are times I want ot stop the job to reboot or something and then restart the job. the problem is with multiple threads if I click stop it terminates multiple files mid-stream. Many of the files I am moving are 40-60GB files. I would like to see an option to clean sop the job where any files in flight are completed and the thread closed until all threads are completed.
  • David Gugick
    I know you can stop the backups now and continue them later. Any in-progress files would be backed up fresh the next time. Are you saying that that's insufficient for your needs? What if one of those files that you're uploading is 60 GB in size is only 1 GB into the upload. What's the advantage from your perspective of waiting 59 more GBs until the backup of that file is complete, versus terminating the backup in a safe way as quickly as possible and then backing up that 60 GB file the next time the backup runs? Usually when a backup needs to be stopped manually, while infrequent, it's because of a pressing need to turn off or cycle the machine.
  • Keith Luken
    I am in the middle up uploading 25TB to Azure then to AWS and my upload speeds are only 35mbps which means months of uploads. I like to patched my server every month, and also I find that the backups after a few weeks may have issues since the volume snapshot is so old.

Many of my files are 40-80GB so trying to stop a backup at the right time to not have lost all that transfer size/time is a timing game. If there were an option to Stop-Clean when each thread file copy in process would stop once that file is done would be great.
  • David Gugick
    You mention volume snapshots. Are you running Image backups and not File backups, as I had assumed from the original post?
  • Keith Luken
    I am running file backups, but it looks like it takes a volume snap before backing up the files. After a few weeks it crashed about unable to read the snapshot volume.
  • David Gugick
    What you're referring to is VSS, which you presumably have enabled. VSS is Microsoft's volume shadow services, and it allows applications such as hours to quiesce the volume in order to back up files that are in use by other applications. If you deal with an inability to back up some files that are in use, then enabling VSS is the best solution to overcome that limitation. However, if you're backing up files that are not in use, then you may not need VSS enabled for backup.

The snapshots that are created during the VSS process have nothing to do with the backups themselves. If you're having a problem with VSS then I would suggest you reach out to support in an effort to understand what's going on as they may be able to assist and provide some remedy to that particular issue so you don't have that issue again. Or, you can refer to this knowledge base article: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.msp360.com/resources/blog/troubleshooting-vss-volume-shadow-copy-issues/
  • Keith Luken
    Correct. But my guess is the VSS snap being in use for weeks on end eventually the OS did something that made it inaccessible to Cloudberry. Has not been a huge deal, but would still like to see a clean stop option eventually.
  • David Gugick
    That's not how VSS works with MSP360. Once the backup is complete the snapshot is stopped and removed. Snapshots do not stick around, nor should they. But you can sometimes run into a VSS issue, and many of those issues can be addressed by reviewing that knowledge base article.
  • Keith Luken
    Correct, but the backup is running for weeks, something happened that the backup could no longer access the VSS snap and crashed. Not saying it is a MSP360 issue, but being able to cleaning stop the backups every week or s and picking back up without lost file transfer time would be great.
  • David Gugick
    I understand. I am assuming it's only your initial backup that takes that long, correct?

You can clean stop the backups, however. What you do not get I believe are in-progress file completion - although I'd need to check with the engineers to understand exactly what happens when you click Stop as the process may complete some files if they are close to completing. The next backup you run should pick up from where the last one left off.
  • Keith Luken
    Yeah the first one will take over 2 months when done. When I click stop it seems to take a few seconds,I assume releasing the VSS volume and closing all transfers. It’s not a huge deal, but was just making a suggestion. Thanks
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment