• Dorian DeLuca
    Apologies if this has been covered, or if it's in the documentation.

My company currently uses a competitor managed backup product that allows us to install a tool called "Recovery Console" on an on-premises Hyper-V Server, which can be any Windows Server OS, or Windows 10/11. That "Recovery Console" program does what it calls a "continuous restore" of a target machine, by creating and constantly updating a Hyper-V guest VM that stays powered off, but can be powered on very quickly in the event of an outage.

Is it possible to do the same thing with MSP360? I know that a machine can be restored to a cloud-based VM, but is there a way to:
    1. restore from a cloud backup to an on-premises Hyper-V VM?
    2. do so on a "continuous", or, at least, scheduled basis?

Thanks in advance for the help!
  • Dorian DeLuca
    I'm still struggling to find an answer to this question, in case anyone has anything to offer.
  • Steve Putnam
    So the short answer is that MSP360 does not have the ability to do what Recovery Console does (basically continuous replication via software).
    You can certainly create a backup/restore sequence that would periodically backup up and then restore VHDx files, but it might get tricky from a timing standpoint. Perhaps David G. can comment on how one might set that up.
    For us, the daily local VHDx backups, combined with "every-four-hour" local file backups provides an acceptable RPO/RTO for the majority of our SMB customers.
    For our larger, more mission critical clients, we use HYPER-V replication.
    Typically we use what we call the "trickle down servernomics model".
    When a server needs to be replaced, the old one becomes the HYPERV replica - which provides recovery points every 10 minutes going 8 hours back.
    It has served us well, and the cost is relatively low (given that the customer already owned the Replica Hardware. It does not perform as well, but in a Failover situation, it works adequately.
  • Dorian DeLuca
    Got it. Thanks for the great information!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment