• Rick Huebner
    I currently have my first server backing up to Wasabi. I want to also backup to the local NAS. It looks like there is guidance to backup the server to the NAS and then backup the NAS to the cloud.

Is there any problem with just starting a second backup plan to the local NAS? I am currently running a full backup every month with daily incrementals as an image-based backup.

Thanmks
  • BackupFan
    That is how most of our backups are setup: one image plan backing up to a NAS, and another image plan backing up to the Cloud.
  • Rick Huebner
    Thanks. I'm running the image plan to the NAS now and will do a test restore of both plans to verify.
  • BackupFan
    There is a Hybrid Backup plan that is only available via only the legacy format (not the new format) backup plans. We tried it a few years ago but did not get it to work well for us at that time.
  • Rick Huebner
    So now my question is about the storage limit. I only really care about the cloud storage. I want the local backup to be excluded from the company limit or something like that. I have the NAS backup failing because it is pushing the company limit over the threshold.
  • David Gugick
    There are no strict storage limits that are automatically imposed by the product. If you're hitting a limit, then I am guessing that an admin must have set up a storage limit when adding a storage account to a User. If you check the Organization - Users, click on the authentication user in question, and verify the storage accounts assigned and if there are any storage limits. If there are, you can either edit the Storage Limit from Storage - Storage Limits, or remove it from that User Storage assignment.

Is that what you were referring to?
  • Rick Huebner
    I set a company limit when I was only backing up online. This is my first client using this backup solution. I want to prevent some massive storage charge from the storage provider so I set the limit at the company level. It looks like one option may be to set the limit at the user level and then run the backup to the NAS as a user with no limits and the backup to the cloud as a user with limits. I just don't know if I can run two backup jobs on one server with two different users yet.
  • David Gugick
    You don't need two users. You can use the same user. Under the user's section you can assign storage and when you do that you can assign storage limits to each storage assigned. You can do that rather than assigning storage at the company level. So you can use two different storage limits, or really just one storage limit for the cloud, and no storage limit for the NAS. Or as another option you can assign the NAS at the company level, and assign the cloud at the user level. But you can use the same user for both. The user is just the account that the agents use to authenticate with the server and allows the management consoles to know what customer they belong to.
  • Rick Huebner
    Do I have to remove the storage from the company level first? I can't change the storage limit at the user level from unlimited.
  • David Gugick
    All right. Rather than going through support, we can try to do this on the forums here. But before we do that I need a very detailed reply from you, which you can DM me or post in the forum, your choice. I need to understand exactly how you have things configured now in a single post so I can write a reply that will help you address the particular concern you're having.

I need to know whether you have storage assigned at the user level or the company level, or both, what types of storage accounts they are, and whether or not there are any storage limits assigned, and if so, where they are assigned. At the company, at the user level on the storage, etc.

The other option is for you to open a support case and have them walk you through the proper process for your environment to get the results you need. I'll let you decide how you want to proceed. Look forward to your reply.
  • Rick Huebner
    Thank you so much for the assistance. I will try to do this here so others can learn while protecting any sensitive data. Also, I am comfortable losing all of my previous backups if needed because I have another solution in place with on-prem backups.

The short is one server, one company, one user, two storage destinations (NAS and cloud), two backup plans for the one server (NAS and cloud). Details from me walking through the UI follow below.

I currently have only one of my clients on Managed Backup as a test case. This client has multiple physical servers running Hyper-V, but we are only backing up one for now. This Hyper-V host has several VMs, but the only one we are backing up is a single server (server01) that runs AD and is a file server (yeah, I didn't set that up, inherited it).

We have one NAS with something like 10TB of usable storage solely for on-site backups. This was the only backup before I came on.

I currently have one company defined called SJA. If I look at General settings for this company, Use Storage Limit is currently unchecked.

I have two users defined. My admin account and one called sja_backup_user who is assigned to the company SJA. There are two Storage Destinations defined and both are assigned to the sja_backup_user. I don't remember adding the storage destinations to the user, but must have when I created that user. it looks like Storage limit is set to unlimited for both destinations when I'm looking at the sja_backup_user details.

Looking at the Remote Management for server01, I have two backup plans assigned. One is called server01-nas and the other is server01-cloud with the two storage destinations assigned as the backup target location respectively.

I think that is everything as I walk through the UI, but please let me know what else you would need.
  • David Gugick
    I don't remember adding the storage destinations to the user, but must have when I created that user. it looks like Storage limit is set to unlimited for both destinations when I'm looking at the sja_backup_user details.Rick Huebner

You can either set the storage at the Company level or the User level. Until last year, the User level was the only way and allows for storage limits to be applied. Adding backup destinations at the Company level is easier for some Managed Backup customers, but does not allow storage limits.

It seems you have no storage limits set, so I am wondering how your NAS backup was failing because of a storage limit being reached?

Since you're using two image backup plans: NAS and Cloud, can I ask if you are using the new backup format? A lot of benefits using the NBF for image backups. https://mspbackups.com/AP/Help/backup/about/backup-format/about-format
  • Rick Huebner
    I removed the storage limits so that the cloud backup would continue and I was just monitoring the storage usage each day.

I appear to be using NBF because I have the option for encryption password hint as well as GFS.

If I create two users say sja_backup_user_cloud and sja_backup_user_NAS can I specify which user is used for each plan on the same server instance?
  • Rick Huebner
    And, can I change a storage destination from a Company destination to a user destination?
  • David Gugick
    Users are just service accounts to authenticate the MSP360 services on the endpoint with one of your customers. You can only have one user account per endpoint and that account can be shared with all endpoints at a customer. While your main admin account may show up in the Users list, it's really an administration account (see Administrators section) used for management, not for backup.

I do not think you will have an issue changing the storage destination from the User to the Company - by removing from User and then assigning at the Company level, But I am not sure this change provides any benefits. I am going to check with the team and report back on whether this is a good idea. So, hold off on this change until I reply. Thanks.
  • David Gugick
    You can use one user account and assign both storage accounts (NAS and Cloud), and each storage can have a different storage limit applied, if needed. Is that what you want?
  • Rick Huebner
    Yes, I just did that. I removed the storage accounts from the company and assigned them, with appropriate limits, to the sja_backup_user and it worked perfectly. I am running backups right now to verify and I'll restore them to the lab server later today to make sure, but it looks like the trick was just to remove the storage destination from the company and add it back to the user. I verified that the two plans are set to use the correct storage destinations.
  • David Gugick
    Ok. Look forward to your reply once your testing is complete.
  • Rick Huebner
    Well, I was wondering why the NAS backup took so long. I forced the backup and apparently it caused a Full Backup because of this warning in the attachment.

Consistency Check detected an issue (code: 2503)
    An excess restore point was found and marked as forbidden

I did not force the backup to the cloud provider and I'm going to let it run at the regular time tonight. I am starting the restore now from the NAS.
    Attachment
    Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 4.10.26 PM (54K)
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment