• Stratos Misinezis
    Hello All.
    Please let me know if feasible to realize this backup plan request and please let me know your opinion about this. This might be copied and paste to my mail as a request backup plan.

Every 1st week Full Back up – Incremental for rest days. (Then will be deleted and start from the beginning).

1st month 1st Friday Full Back up 2nd,3rd,4th incremental (Keep for a year)
    2st month 1st Friday Full Back up 2nd,3rd,4th incremental (Keep for a year)
    3st month 1st Friday Full Back up 2nd,3rd,4th incremental (Keep for a year)
    4st month 1st Friday Full Back up 2nd,3rd,4th incremental (Keep for a year)
    5st month 1st Friday Full Back up 2nd,3rd,4th incremental (Keep for a year)
    6st month 1st Friday Full Back up 2nd,3rd,4th incremental (Keep for a year)
    7st month Last Friday of the month (Keep for a year)
    8st month Last Friday of the month (Keep for a year)
    9st month Last Friday of the month (Keep for a year)
    10st month Last Friday of the month (Keep for a year)
    11st month Last Friday of the month (Keep for a year)
    12st month Last Friday of the month (Keep for a year)
    Last year Last day of the year (Keep for a year)
  • David Gugick
    Since GFS settings are only for Full backups, I think what you'll have to do is set the Keep For retention option to 6 Months. This will keep all Full+Incremental backups for 6 months, satisfying (I think) the first part of your request above.

Then use the GFS Settings and keep 12 Monthly Backups to satisfy the next 6 months of retention, but at the monthly level, and set GFS Yearly backups to 2 with a start the month of December. That last part will not trigger GFS for the Yearly until December and then keep the following December as well.

There is no way to schedule a full to run on the last day of a month. You could set it to the Last Saturday or Sunday if you wanted, or use any of the other scheduling options for the Full. Schedule Incremental backups run as needed - once a week, daily, etc.

But I would also consider reaching out to Support for guidance on best settings. What I wrote above is just what I think based on my understanding of the product and what you wrote above.
  • Stratos Misinezis
    David thanks for your reply. Since you split the year in 2 X six months what I understand is to do 2 plans for 6 months term. I thought that in order to have GFS. By using plan with GFS as well as with immutability in retention tab there is a warning" Enabled GFS period of keeping weekly full backups requires a scheduled full backup at least once a week. If necessary, change your backup schedule."
    Is this valid or has changed, what I say is can I do full once a month using GFS ? Lastly what is the best option having 6 months full backups? For example keep backup for 2 Weeks, keeping weekly for 4 Weeks and 6 monthly would it satisfy the GFS?
  • David Gugick
    I didn't split the plan. My description was for one plan. When using GFS, If you want to keep weekly backups, then you need to schedule a full at least once a week. If you don't do that there's no full backup to keep on the GFS side. It will let you continue but those weeklies will not be kept according to the settings.
  • Stratos Misinezis
    David os if I choose Keep Backup for 1 months and do once a week an incremental and once a week a full, enable GFS and choose Period of keeping monthly full backup let's say 12 and period of keeping yearly full backups : 2 would it be ok for GFS?
    Attachment
    GFS (14K)
  • David Gugick
    I don't think that would satisfy what you wrote in the original post, which is keeping the full plus differentials in the most recent six months for one year.
  • Stratos Misinezis
    I suppose that the customer wants this above in my initial post. Would you recommend a GFS plan to fulfill the needs of this. Can be achieved in one plan?
  • David Gugick
    I think you can try what I originally posted above in my initial reply to satisfy most of the requirements in your original post. That is, use a combination of "Keep backup For" retention mixed with GFS retention for long term. If you're performing monthly Full backups, then you cannot use the Weeks GFS option as it requires a minimum of a Weekly full backup.

If you need more detailed help, I'd recommend reaching out to Support as they may be able to better address this question.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment