• Yuri Alexandrov
    Could you please advise me how to properly configure MSP360 Desktop Edition to minimize the cost to Google Cloud Storage.

Task: file backup of photo-video with the size about 3-5Tbytes.
    Features: no deletion policies, i.e. old (and deleted) files should ALWAYS be kept in backup (i.e. retention policy = do not purge (keep backup forever).

I want to configure so that say a full backup is as cheap as possible to store in google - coldline or archve storage. But I'm afraid to mistakenly set this type of storage on some service files that MSP360 accesses often.

Can you tell me how to set the storage type for files in google cloud more correctly to use the cheapest storage type in my case?
  • Steve Putnam
    Yuri,
    For that amount of storage that I strongly suggest using Legacy format backups as it will save you a tremendous amount of space. With Legacy format, once you backup a file, it never gets backed up again unless it is changed which is rare for videos/pictures.
    I would recommend Google Archive or Coldline. The cost per month for Archive is $.0012/GB/Mo in the cheapest Google regions (US-Central,East1,East5,South1,West1). That is 70% less than the $.004/GB/Mo for Coldline in the same regions. The data is required to be retained for 365 days but in your case that is not an issue.
    5TB of data in Archive is a mere $6 per month vs $20/Mo with Coldline.
    The issue that I am not clear on is how much the initial upload wil cost to each of the destinations for Class A and B API operations. It might cost a lot more in API ops to upload the data to Archive vs Coldline such that it might take a long time to break even using Archive storage.
    Perhaps someone more knowledgable of API costs can weigh in.
  • Steve Putnam
    Disregard my previous statement - I just learned that Google Archive is not currently supported. Changing recommendation to go with Wasabi or BackBlaze as they do not charge API fees. So while they MAY be more expensive than Google Coldlne (depending on the region you select), the absence of API fees will offset most if not all of the difference.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment