• dab
    Hello,

When restoring a file/folder, is it possible to display the different dates of available versions of the file/folder to restore?

I only see a calendar when restoring but it displays all the days the same way...

Thanks for your lights :D
  • David Gugick
    Yes, you can select "Manually" on the Restore Point tab in the Restore Wizard and then select the version of each file you want to restore (folders are not objects and do not have date / time stamps).
  • dab
    Hello David,

Thanks for your feedback, it was so obvious... thanks.

Do you know if it is planned to have an option that shows all files and folders at a certain date (and before of course)?

Thanks
  • David Gugick
    Are you asking for the ability to see all files and versions of files that have mod dates and / or backup dates within a specified range in the app before restoring? If so, can you explain a little about how you'd utilize that feature within the product?
  • dab
    Not only files, folders, subfolders and files within.

For exemple, let's say I deleted by mistake a folder at 05.50 o' clock on month ago and I backup every hours, I can restore the folder at 5 o'clock... (instead of choosing file by file or getting the last backup (wich is too late that day)
  • David Gugick
    In that example, why wouldn't you simply restore the latest version of that deleted folder? Doing so would restore the folder in its entirety.
  • dab
    Good answer!

Do you have a solution when the content of a folder is corrupted (virus/crypto, hardware problem, software malfunction...) so the backup did backup and replace the files/subfolders with the corrupted ones...
  • David Gugick
    If you have files that were corrupted for some reason and they were then backed up, then you can easily restore the older versions simply by using one of these options during restore:
    * Point-In-Time Restore - to restore files up to a specific date / time
    * Modification Period - Restores files modified within the specified date ranges
    * Backup Period - Restores files backed up within the specified date range
  • dab
    Thanks David,

I've seen those options but it seems those options automatically select "the last/closest backup" without the possibility to choose precise backup dates. I mean, I can choose a range of dates but I would prefer to choose backup dates (more precise when you have to do several tries).

Thanks anyway David, have a nice day
  • David Gugick
    It's hard for me to think of a reason you would not restore the latest version within the date range supplied for all files, using that scenario. Maybe I'm just not thinking of one, so please elaborate on the business case if you have more information to share. Even if there were a few outliers, they could be easily restored using a secondary restore plan that selects only those file versions. The rest of the files, and presumably there would be a lot, would be restored with the main restore plan using the date ranges specified above.

I worry what's happening is we're trying to invent a use case to fit the request - when it's easier to understand a business case and then decide on the best way to implement a feature to solve that problem. But again, I'm happy to keep this discussion going until we're hopefully in agreement one way or the other. While I agree that there could be a feature that simply lists all files and versions in a flat list that let customers cherry-pick files for restore, I'd need to understand better how that would be useful for you by understanding what business case would make that feature necessary.

Look forward to your reply.

David
  • dab
    Hello David

Use case is: the content of a folder is corrupted (virus/crypto, hardware problem, software malfunction...) so the backup did backup and replace the files/subfolders with the corrupted ones...
    Don't forget that in this case you do not see in realtime that there is a problem with you files.
    Also the backup continues after the trouble and the files are backedup in a corrupted state

The problem, most of the time you do not really know when it happened so you make tries to get closer.
    With a list of backups available and sorted by date/time, you make tries, you choose a date/time and sees if the restored files are healthy, if yes, you do another try with an older backup until you reach the corrupt version. Than you know you have to move one step back and you are sure you have the very last good version.

When you try to restore with systems based on a blind "last version" 1st you will restore corrupted files and 2nd if you try to go back in time, you never know if you have the last good version or just a good version.

I think it's the point, how do you know you have the last good version or just a good version?
  • David Gugick
    I think in that case, if you really did not know when the issue occurred, then you would be much better off simply restoring different versions of a candidate file to see which restored version did not have the issue. Then, using that file restore and the dates on the file, use the date range options to restore everything else. I do not think you'd ever go through a master list of files and versions cherry-picking individual files simply to see which ones were ok as there would be too many and it would take too long to individually select files.
  • dab
    The idea is not to select files and version for each file but the opposite: select version (backup date) and for that backup date (and time) select the folders/files.

But anyway, if it is not on CB roadmap let's get the best out of what is here :D

Thanks for your followup David. Have a nice day
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet