• Chasim
    I recently was cleaning up some (local) folders and deleted some sub-folders which contained files. I have run several backups (both incremental and full), as well as consistency checks, since then. My backup plan provides for deleting files when deleted locally (which works). However, both the old sub-folders and the files in those sub-folders are still in my backup storage. Other than manually deleting them (which requires extensive comparison), is there some way to remove those sub-folders and contents which were deleted locally?

It seems like a bug where files deleted locally are removed from my backup, but folders (and their contents) are not...

Thanks!
  • Matt
    That issue should be fixed in version 6.1 and up. Make sure you're using the latest build. If the problem persist please open a ticket regarding that.
  • Chasim
    Thanks for the reply. I am using v. 6.2.5.91 and update frequently, so I was using 6.1+ before I had this problem. Should I submit a ticket or try something else?
  • Matt
    Try syncing the repository first via tools > options > repository menu. If that doesn't help please open a ticket regarding the problem.

Also, if the files were previously selected for the plan and then de-selected after performing backups then this is actually expected, such files are "orphaned" and will never be purged from the storage side until deleted manually.
  • mrjoshua
    I'm actually seeing this issue in the current release. I'm backing up Windows Server 2019 leveraging DrivePool to both USB and Backblaze. This occurs using both filesystem and UNC paths. I have attempted uninstall and reinstall, multiple repo syncs, and both Simple and Advanced configurations. The result is the same. If a file is deleted within a directory (and local deletes are set to 7 days), it's detected and listed for deletion. If the folder the file is in is deleted, it's not detected and the file and folder remain in the backup indefinitely. No items are de-selected, nor are backup plans changed to cause any orphaning.
  • mrjoshua
    Update: After some testing, this issue occurs in Versions: Latest 6.3, 6.2.2, 6.1.1. The issue is NOT present in 5.8.6 and 6.0.2.22 (I had stored some of these old versions still for some reason).
  • mrjoshua
    Final update: Figured I'd add this in case anyone else did a search. After review, it appears the files DO eventually end up being deleted (tested with 0 day deletion) however the files within folders aren't being added to the "To Be Deleted" notification if enabled (and a delay is set). The only real impact of this bug is the inability to force delete these files early. They will, however, be deleted from the backup as expected after whatever delay is set for locally deleted files.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment